Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #161 
Creat

I really hope results come in soon I have been stalking this for a while I too have had this... similar lack of results from meds... I was talking with someone and they mentioned that it seemed similar to hole in the head dont know if it is or not...
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #162 
Coppermoon

I am sorry to all who have lost fish from this. I really hope that something shows up. That almost sounds horrible...lol.

Jalyssa...again I am sooooo sorry about Buddha :'(
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #163 
Coppermoon

I'm posting Pix of the infected fish on Betta Lover's FB page. They are also on Lone Star Bettas FB page and IBC yahoo group.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #164 
dramaqueen
Banned

I haven't looked at this thread in awhile. I'm so sorry for those of you who have lost fish to this disease and I hope that we'll someday have a cure.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #165 
harleraven

Does anyone know the biochemical pathway involved in producing blue fish? Genes regulate entire pathways, so if something is altered in development due to the gene(s) that cause blue, it is possible that it is also what leaves blues susceptible to the disease.

In many mammals, spotting genes have a lot of problems associated with them, especially when homozygous (two pairs of the same version of the gene [called alleles]). Basically, the gene disrupts the migration of precursor cells (undifferentiated neural crest cells) that would normally eventually become a myriad of different cells, including pigment cells. It causes the white spots, but it also leaves other areas not fully developed. In homozygous animals of some species, it can cause problems with hindgut development, deafness, and other problems.

For those that have spawned any of the blues that have succumbed to this disease, determining their genetics might be very helpful in learning more about what makes them susceptible. I really don't know much about betta genetics, so bear with me.

From what I gather, steel blues are the result of two steel blue genes. I am not sure if it is dominant or recessive. Royal blue is one green and one steel blue gene. So the question is, do royal blues get this disease, or just steel blues?
harleraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #166 
Coppermoon

The girl pineconed so I put her down. DT girl that is at friends house pineconed yesterday. Boys are still doing ok. Both girls will be biopsied some time next week.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #167 
Sakura8

Harleraven, I'm not a breeder so I can't really answer the gene question but looking back at the pics, it seems like royal blues were the first to be hit with blue-teals and steels next.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #168 
asukabetta

Is this is it...

asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #169 
Sakura8

Possible. If it is, it will move very, very fast.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #170 
Coppermoon

Distilled water, 1/2 tap to 1 tap salt (start with 1/2 and increase slowly). Triple Sulfa. Temp no.higher then 80F. Daily water changes for 10 days and no more then 14 days..
and bleach everything!

This goes against everything we know as fish keepers, but if caught early it can be slowed down. I am about to take them out of this so I don't know if it is gone, but this at least stops it before it kills.