Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #271 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roemgie View Post
I will use vinager if that's more effective than bleach. I'm getting ready to go check on her again but she hasn't eaten or at least from what I've observed so I don't know how much longer she'll be alive but if she does pass away I'll quickly clean my tank. I only have bleach though so if I can use that then I won't run to the store
Vinegar will not kill it.. please read the new post on mycos..

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....41#post1393241
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #272 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
Vinegar will not kill it.. please read the new post on mycos..

Mycobacteria
Then I guess my CT and other bettas who were in contact with the disease talked about in this thread are super bettas.
I think this "Mycos" is a different disease than what this thread was originally posted for.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #273 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
Going to create a new thread...
when the fish is weakened it may get other disease.. but the underlying mycos is the issue. There is a mycos strain that looks like columnaris. If you treat fuzzy patches with meds for columnaris, and get no results. You have mycos..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #274 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Then I guess my CT and other bettas who were in contact with the disease talked about in this thread are super bettas.
I think this "Mycos" is a different disease than what this thread was originally posted for.
no.. you just may have a strain that moves slower but is still killing your fish. there are several strains.. and your fish may have more than one. Your symptoms I had in a few of my fish... go read that post.. and the attached article
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #275 
FishyFishy89

I doubt the same strand that killed my VT in less than 48 hrs is moving in my CT for longer than a year.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #276 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I feel like we're back at square one?
I orginally thought Myco strains existed in almost every fish in the trade, often remaining dormant.
Now MT is just the same thing, another Myco that is staying dormant, in most fish, but something is causing it to act up for some people but not others?
If 70% of store fish really do have MT, we are not seeing a problem from most of them, are we? What makes it go deadly? I do know MTB can remain dormant in humans for an awful long time, like many diseases, just wonder what sets it off in these fish if they all have it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #277 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Most of the cases so far have only been on the fins, no saddleback. It would just eat right up the fins and onto the body and they'd be gone within hours. I wonder though . . . what if there's a strain of columnaris that blue bettas carrying a certain gene are particularly susceptible to? So far, the general consensus has been that it could be columnaris but it's a form we never seem to encounter in non-blue fish. Only a necropsy or tissue sample could really tell. If we could only identify the strain of bacteria we're working with.
you are dealing with mycos... if you treat for columnaris and get no results.. mycos.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #278 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I feel like we're back at square one?
I orginally thought Myco strains existed in almost every fish in the trade, often remaining dormant.
Now MT is just the same thing, another Myco that is staying dormant, in most fish, but something is causing it to act up for some people but not others?
If 70% of store fish really do have MT, we are not seeing a problem from most of them, are we? What makes it go deadly? I do know MTB can remain dormant in humans for an awful long time, like many diseases, just wonder what sets it off in these fish if they all have it.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is NOT dormant. Did you read the linked article? Some move slower.. and different strains give different symptoms. Your fish can have more than one.. and have complications in addition. Some strains are more deadly than others. You destroy the killers and manage the others. Go read that article..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #279 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I doubt the same strand that killed my VT in less than 48 hrs is moving in my CT for longer than a year.
No.. there are MORE than one strain. The Triplex acts very different than marinum..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #280 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roemgie View Post
I know that comment isn't meant for me but could my girl possibly have columnaris?? I know that when a betta fish passes away their body gets very cloudy. That's what her back end is doing. Here's some pictures, she also is having swim bladder issues

That grey patch along the back and the fins ate off like this is mycos. NOT columnaris.