Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #371 
KohakuRiver

I told them about it. I gave them the fish, who was dead on the shelf, to an employee and explained to her what I knew. I don't know if they will listen to me, but I'm not buying any bettas from there until I observe their fish for a while.
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #372 
AyalaCookiejar

If anything else, I'd explain to them that mycobacteria can be spread to humans and any employee sticking his or her hands in the tanks (or any customer buying the fish, taking them home, and then sticking their hands in the tank) are at risk. It's sad but true that many don't care about the life of the fish until you tell them that they are in danger, too.

Which reminds me... Is this a strain that humans can get? Either way, tell them that mycobacteria can affect humans and that it's the same type of bacteria that causes tuberculosis. That should scare them straight.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #373 
KohakuRiver

I will do that if I see any more fish with the disease in the store. I completely agree that the lives of the fish mean little to the employees in this particular store.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #374 
LittleBlueFishlets

The Mycobacteria that infects fish can affect humans. But it does NOT cause tuberculosis.

Tuberculosis is caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis. This is a very specific strain of Mycobacteria.

The strains that are present in aquatic environments include Mycobacterium marinum, and several other types. They CAN cause problems in humans, such as skin infections that are VERY difficult to cure. (Do a google search on "Fish-handler's disease.") But they do not cause TB.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #375 
AyalaCookiejar

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like that.

Mycobacterium causes both this and tuberculosis but TB is caused by a different strain. I guess I didn't really clarify, though.

I just think its a powerful statement you could make to try to get them to DO something about it, because they obviously don't care about the fish.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #376 
KohakuRiver

I considered commenting using the official 'contact us' on the website, but I'm not comfortable with the amount of info they require to do that... "First Name, Last Name, email, etc. I wish I was socially apt enough to relay the severity of the situation when I was there. I'm just worried that other fish will get infected and die, and possibly transmit the disease to other people like the little boy I talked to there that was getting a new betta.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:52 AM   #377 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Ayala I agree. The little information people have on infections is really incredible.

I cannot tell you the times I have had to explain that an antibiotic cannot cure a viral infection, or that prolonged use of antibiotics predisposes the person to catch worse and worse infections instead of decreases their chances (and breeds superstrains).

If scaring people by letting them believe facts like that is all that will work it will have to do for the time being. its certainly better than their fish dying in droves.

Also Kohaku you might want to think about contacting your local biological center and inform them you observed the outbreak signs in a local pet store. Having a scientists department descend on a major chain will make management sit up and take notice.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #378 
nehemiahludden

ok so my betta is swollen on both sides near his gills i have no idea what it is and i would really like to be able to treat him for it so that he will be able to live longer. i have had him for 6 moths and i i really like this little. i like him so much that i named him Mr. Whiskers. he is in a 10 gallon tank with a pleco zebra fish and a albino rainbow shark. i have uploaded this pic but i have 2 more that i am going to give for you to look at.
Attached Images

Last edited by nehemiahludden; 06-22-2013 at 10:09 PM.
nehemiahludden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #379 
nehemiahludden

pic number 2
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #380 
nehemiahludden

pic 3
Attached Images