Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #451 
Hanselvrod31

My Betta Fish has a lump in the middle side of his body!

My blue Betta fish has a lump on his right,middle side of his body. What should I do?
Hanselvrod31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #452 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hanselvrod31,

Welcome to the forum!

1) Start a new thread, so that people know your fish has a problem.
2) Copy/paste the form from this thread into your post. Giving us answers to these questions will help people determine what's wrong. (Answer what you can. Leave anything else blank.)
3) If possible, include a photo of your Betta so we can see him.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 PM   #453 
Bettafishadopter

Just making you aware that this also has been targeting white bEtta's. The Instagram community of bettas has experienced this "white betta" disease
Bettafishadopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #454 
Kiara1125

I had my whole sorority of 8 bettas wiped out by this. They all died overnight and their fins looked horrid. They were a graphite color and some of them even rotted away faster, leaving white skin with red blotches everywhere. It was ONLY the bettas that were affected. None of my tetras, not even my angelfish or german blue ram! It's a terrible disease and I don't know where I got it from. All the girls were there for months and they were all around a year and less - youngest being 4 months.

I found this website which might explain what it is, or something similar to it. Mycobacteria ... might it be related to this?
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #455 
Waking Buddha

I work at a pet store and something very similar to this happened to about 15 of our bettas over the course of two weeks. I've never seen it before and haven't seen it happen since but it was also accompanied by a film of rapidly spreading fuzz so maybe it's something totally different. Each betta affected died within 24 hours. :(
Waking Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #456 
tmosby8

New betta.

Hi,

I m a newbie to aquarium and bettas. I bought them because I read that they need very less oxygen and are stronger than other fishes.

My betta is not as active as I thought it would be. It sits at the bottom of the tank, doesnt eat much.

I m trying to feed him hi-red fish food. Is this even right?

Please advise.

Thanks.
Attached Images

tmosby8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #457 
LittleBlueFishlets

tmosby8 - Welcome to the forum. I suggest you start a new thread, so that people see that you need advice for your new fish. To do this:
1) Click here to start a new thread.
2) Copy and paste the information from this sticky into your new post. Answer the questions as best you can. (Leave blank anything that you can't answer.)

Waking Buddha - A fast-moving white-fuzz often indicates Columnaris infection. This is an "opportunistic bacterial infection" that can be treated (if caught early enough) with a gram-negative antibiotic, such as API Furan 2, Mardel Maracyn 2 (minocycline), etc. Fish subjected to stress (such as transport to/from stores, being in plastic cups, etc) are susceptible to opportunistic infections, such as Columnaris.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #458 
tmosby8

done.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?p=3987034
tmosby8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:14 AM   #459 
NanaBeams

I am kind of confused. What are the recommendations to deal with this acute and progressive disease? Is there a Stickied thread on this? I haven't gotten a betta yet, but I am TERRIFIED after stumbling on this thread. How would you go about sanitizing your tank and disposing the water, etc? I read from the article that the microorganism is highly infectious to humans as well. I wouldn't want to try cleaning the tank in the bathtub/sink. Could you soak everything in bleach/high acid solutions?

I'm not familiar with how you would go about properly sanitizing aquariums after deaths.

So scary.. poor fish :(
NanaBeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #460 
shadepixie

My Louie most certainly has this. I thought he would be dead this morning but he's still alive. I am certain that the bacteria was transmitted via some false Cory Julii from Petsmart a little less than a week ago.
My questions now are:
- Should I euthanize? What is the best way to euthanize?
- Should I call the Petsmart and let them know their stock may be contaminated?
- Is there a good way to clean everything? I cannot afford to start over, I know people say throw everything out and start over. Can I boil the gravel and driftwood? Bleach the plants?
- What about the two remaining Corys (that seem totally fine) and all my ghost shrimp? I do not have a hospital tank.

I am devastated that I took such good care of my tank and my Betta and this has happened. I did almost everything by the book. I'm angry that some people keep their Bettas in little jars and they live for a long time. I only got Louie last July and gave him such a big, beautiful, clean, natural home. I can't start all over. Please help.
Attached Images

shadepixie is offline   Reply With Quote