Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #551 
vaida

Hi.I have my first betta fish already one month. I thing something wrong with him cos he change his collour and lost fins. My fish tank PH is 8.4, KH 20, NO2- 0.5 and i know that can cost illness for Betta fish. Pls help me to find out what i do wrong and how to treat him.
vaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #552 
Honeybun93

I had a blue male betta named Tango which I believe was affected by this disease. I bought him from Petco and had him for about 4 months.. In a matter of hours he went to looking healthy to having his fins decaying. They were a weird greyish yellow color which I thought was odd. By the next day his fins were completely decayed and I knew he basically had no chance. I kept him alive as long as I could before he passed. It was very sad...
Honeybun93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #553 
RavenLenore13

The Tale of Id the Fish

Sunday Id was fine.
No obvious problem Monday morning.
Tail almost totally black & starting to pine cone under his chin by Monday 4pm.
Water change, Prime, & Triple Sulfa.
This morning, Tuesday, the black took over the back of his body
Full pinecone, but no swelling.
Died around 1:30-2pm today, Tuesday.

Rest in peace, little Id
We didn't have you long enough.

Thank you for starting this thread.
It's the only thing telling me that I'm not alone
& there was likely never anything I could have done to save him.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....70#post5791970
Attached Images

RavenLenore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #554 
LadyRaven

Sorry to hear about your loss, he looks like my boy Teemo, so pretty.
I'm worried for him now, seems that people who have they're boys die are all blue in shade :(
LadyRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #555 
RavenLenore13

Here's what he looked like 7 weeks ago...
Flared & unflared.

He never did completely unclamp his fins the entire time I had him...
Only flared that one day (via mirror)
Attached Images

RavenLenore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:48 PM   #556 
Monkey 1338

yes thats it

I should have read this before I posted about my betta. Thats exactly what mine looks like. He is dark blue/purple. It definately is affecting his swimming. This doesnt look good does it? Man, what should I do? I dont want him to suffer.
Monkey 1338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #557 
Korie

Sick Betta w lump

Hello,
I own 3 Betta fish in a divided tank at my home in Boise, Idaho. I donít believe there is an aquatic vet here in town so this is the only other place I could think of to turn for help. I have one male Betta that Iíve have for a little over a month now. He came to me looking a bit run down , not too interested in eating and swimming around normally, so I put him in a filtered, heated tank and he seemed to get much better within a few days. Then, about a week after putting him in the tank I cleaned the bottom which stirred up some debris and then noticed the next day he began to grow a small black lump on his cheek between his gill and mouth. The lump grew a bit and has now changed from black to white. It isnít a tumor looking lump, more a lump of scales as it is un even and flat on the bottom. I have researched as best as I can online and read it could be from breeding (as he is silver and I guess the metallic ones are more prone to such things?) or it could be from an infected cut, or even a virus called lymphocytes. Im not at all sure which one he is ailing from but all in all his temperament is totally normal, he eats like a champ and swims around like he is happy. Again, he is in a divided tank and I worry that quarantining him could make him miserable as he is so happy and shows no signs of stress. Thank you so much for reading my message and if there are any ideas that could be thrown my way I would so appreciate it. I could take a picture and would be so happy to do so for my little friend as I love him so much! Thank you again for all your time and trouble!

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon divided so 3.3 gallons each
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? under gravel
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? one airstone in each section
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tabiko and pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? two-three pieces twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 25% each week with vacuuming
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? backwater extract and a water conditioner to remove chlorine and IAL

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0- none
Nitrate: 0- none
pH: 7.0
Hardness: slightly hard
Alkalinity: slightly alkaline

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? only the lump
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no, happy, eats, bubbles, swims, flares
When did you start noticing the symptoms? day after cleaning the tank about two weeks after getting him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? black water extract and IAL tiny bit of dissolved aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he came to me not looking so good then perked up after being introduced to the bigger tank and has acted happy since
How old is your fish (approximately)? unsure really, bought at petsmart and he was an adult size
Korie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:37 AM   #558 
RandomlytrueXD

Unhappy

In the space of six days my little Merlin has lost half of his Anal fin, and now on the sixth day the edge of his tail fin has started to grey at the tips.

On Thursday 26/02/2015 i noticed the tip of Merlin's Anal fin had turned a brownish black color, i instantly searched up what it could be then went down to my local pet store where i have a friend who knows a bit about fish, He told me it didnt look like anything too serious, and said it could be a really really minor case of finrot, in any case i got him some Antifungus and finrot solution, i cleaned his tank and then added the solution. Merlin was acting completly normal on this day and was eating with his usual big appetite.

Friday 27/02/2015 The Dark color on his anal fin had spread to half way up his fin, he would stay in one corner from morning to early afternoon, i again went to the petshop and asked again what they though, and they said it was moving too quick to be Finrot, but they werent sure as they hadnt seen anything like it before, so i bought a new water testing kit. His water was in perfect condition. So i again cleaned his tank to get rid of the parts of his fins that where just floating in the water, after the water change he was back to swimming about happily which installed some hope in me, and his appetite remained the same as always.

Saturday-Sunday He was his normal happy self, he played and ate as usual, the grey piece where slowly falling off, one piece remained by the end of sunday which had turned black. I changed his water once over the weekend.

Monday 02/03/2015 Installed alot of hope in me that he was finally getting over this, the black piece was slowly flaking off and bar getting used to swimming with a smaller fin, Merlin was pretty happy.

Today 03/03/2015 I read a comment on the forum i had been posting on about merlins progression with what i first thought to be Finrot, and was refereed to this forum, and then i went over and said hi to Merlin...who happily greeted me...the black piece had finally fallen off...but it was then that i saw a tiny white/grey mark on the edge of his tail fin...And i just cried not knowing what else to do because it wasn't over...and so far from all ive read is that there isnt any hope for him.

Please someone tell me that there is a cure, that i can somehow save him, I've called up numerous vets and no one will look at a fish.
Has anyone had a betta who has contracted this disease but has survived it?
i really need some help, i dont want my boy to die :'(

(Here are some Progression Shots of the spread, sorry if some of the pictures are bad quality)
Attached Images

RandomlytrueXD is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ph to hight