Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #81 
Andrew890

Hi, I have a fish suffering from this 'mystery disease'. He seemed perfectly fine all up until I decided to do a gravel cleaning and took out waaay too much water. My plan had been to only take out a small percentage of the water during the cleaning, replace it with conditioned water, and add some plants I got from Petco. But I took out about 90% and ended up replacing that. The day after the water replacement and addition of new plants he started showing signs of what I thought was fin rot - but within two days his tail was completely gone and it was spreading to his body. I'd say I took pretty good care of him prior - he was in a two gallon tank, with a filter and a single plant, I never really changed the water or cleaned the gravel because I figured he was so small he couldn't possibly make much filth (boy was I wrong), but he still never became ill - I fed him the typical Hikari food pellets, about 4 2x per day (which I recently learned was really too much :P) - I had bought him from Petco (in Providence, RI) a couple months ago. Never treated his water with any products except for water conditioner, more details here Don't know if this helps in any way, but I was recommended to post what happened here
Andrew890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #82 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
is the disease still alive? and what's the name of the disease?
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #83 
Sakura8

The disease is still going around and unfortunately, we have no idea what it is so we don't even have a name for it. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #84 
Alcemistnv

To be completely honest, this is what I'm scared of losing my boys to. If they go, I want it to be from age, or something that's come up so aggressively that they just can't fight it.

I just can't bbear losing any of them to thise disease. I hope a cure is found soon.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #85 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
The disease is still going around and unfortunately, we have no idea what it is so we don't even have a name for it. :(
OMG. I can't believe the disease is still alive after all these months... and come to think of it, Equinox seems to have strange colors... we should find a cure and a name, I'm thinking we should do it quick, before anyone else's betta is infected!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #86 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
To be completely honest, this is what I'm scared of losing my boys to. If they go, I want it to be from age, or something that's come up so aggressively that they just can't fight it.

I just can't bbear losing any of them to thise disease. I hope a cure is found soon.
yea, now its the same here... King Dedede is my most favourite betta, I don't want to lose my first betta!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 AM   #87 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Leaf View Post
yea, now its the same here... King Dedede is my most favourite betta, I don't want to lose my first betta!

I'm only afraid because in the 7 months I've had Buddha, he's only been sick twice: Constipation and fin rot. So the fact that he's been basically on a clean streak with all that's going on scares me :/
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #88 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I'm only afraid because in the 7 months I've had Buddha, he's only been sick twice: Constipation and fin rot. So the fact that he's been basically on a clean streak with all that's going on scares me :/
I'm afraid because King Dedede is blue- Sakura said that it is striking blue bettas in particular, oh, and King Dedede was never sick but I'm very attached to my bettas
Old 08-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #89 
briztoon

Hi guys, new to the site. I was directed here as one of my bettas appears to have a similar condition as to what others have witnessed.

I'm just going to cut and paste my post from my home forum. Oh, I'm in Australia by the way.

My male Blue HM developed what I thought Fin Rot about two weeks ago. Apart from the shredded fin, he is active and appears healthy.

I water change his tank 20% twice a week, usually during the middle of the day (I work nights) between feedings (morning 3 live black worms, afternoon 2 Hikari betta pellets).

Since the fin rot started, I have been doing a 20% to 40% water change every day, and for the last 5 days I have treating with an anti biotic.

I think it may have started as a small tear in the dorsal fin, that turned grey/white and slowly lengthened, spread and is shredding the dorsal fin.

I have tried photo the damage for people opinion and help. The water is currently yellow from the medication, so he appears as steel blue, but he's a Royal Blue HM.

Last edited by briztoon; 08-29-2012 at 10:40 AM.
briztoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #90 
Fredsterbit

I don't think it's the disease

From your description, it is not the mystery disease. It's moving too slow. It seems like just a case of fin rot, it may also be some mechanical tearing.. You haven't seen anything or have anything in its enclosure that can damage his fins do you?
Fredsterbit is offline   Reply With Quote