Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #1 
InvertedVantage

Back from three weeks after leaving fish in care of another - he looks bad :(

Hey everyone. So I'm back from my school break and my betta is looking a bit worse for wear. The person I left him with did all that he could, but unfortunately I didn't instruct him how to change the tank water; I didn't think it would get as bad as it did. When I came back my betta was swimming in circles in only about 4 inches of water in a 5 gallon tank. It was littered with food debris and fecal matter; an extreme amount. I cleaned out the tank and replaced his water. He brightened up on the first day, but aferwards he went back to floating a little sideways, swimming aimlessly about, and avoiding eating. Any suggestions? :(
InvertedVantage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

He might be bloated from all the over-feeding. I'd not feed him for 2-3 days and see if that helps. :)
I hope he gets better!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #3 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Perhaps try feeding him something like a bloodworm to peak his appetite...

Hopefully he's not sick or anything
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #4 
callistra

I would also agree to fast him. If there is food all over the bottom of the tank he was probably overfed. Watch to make sure he poops and to make sure the poop is normal.

At the very least he probably has ammonia poisoning. If he's not showing signs of an actual infection then the clean water and fasting is probably all you need.

Last edited by callistra; 01-08-2012 at 09:51 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

Ditto on the fasting. Also some plain, unscented epsom salt may help if he is constipated. 1 teaspoon per gallon
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #6 
InvertedVantage

He's not bloated looking though; he looks thinner than normal. Maybe he's just constipated?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #7 
youlovegnats

It's most likely his swim bladder then. I'd do as Tiki suggested: Epsom salt, 1 tsp per gallon.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 
InvertedVantage

He's getting worse; just laying on his side at the bottom of the tank, twitching sometimes. I'm considering putting him down via temperature shock. He hasn't eaten in days, his back is permanently arched, and he just keeps flapping his fins uselessly. :\
Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #9 
callistra

Temperature shock is not a humane way to euthanize. Please don't do that.

He sounds like maybe ammonia poisoning. How often are you changing the water now?

Did you treat with epsoms yet?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #10 
InvertedVantage

I just put him in a small 16 oz container with epsom salt. I had to work out how to get him home; with no car I have to bike, and it's the winter. I carried him home in my pocket, he almost didn't make it. Started moving around again when I warmed him up. Now he's a small container nearby, I put a few shakes of epsom salt in with him, and the thermometer to monitor temperature. He's still kicking around a bit, between laying flat on the bottom.

EDIT: Just set up his 5 gallon tank with 4 tsp of epsom salt (it really clouds the water, not sure if I put too much). Gonna put him in it so the ammonia has less of a chance to build up.

Last edited by InvertedVantage; 01-15-2012 at 03:05 PM.