I bought my girlfriend a betta almost 6 months ago for her desk at work. He lives in a 2.5 gallon glass tank with filter and heaterat 78 degrees. Just before Christmas i asked her to bring him home so we could look after him during the holidays.
I noticed that he had obvious signs of ammonia burns due to torn fins and red markings on his fins and body. I tested the water and the ammonia was a little high but not dangerous so im guessing the water had been worse in the past. He still ate and was still active.
Anyway ive had him for maybe 3 weeks now in a 5 gallon glass tank, sponge filter and heater at 80 degrees. Ive been changing 50% of his water everyday and for the last 5 days ive been adding Melafix and some aquarium salt. His fins are starting to grow back as they are not torn looking anymore, but his blood red markings are not going. Is this a permanent mark or will they dissapear in time ? And if so how long ?