Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #1 
Devanta

Exclamation Attempting to jump out of water x.x

Ryous been on tetracycline in a one gallon bowl for about two hours now, and hes started to do periodic panic attacks of trying to jump out of his bowl. I dont think hes having an easy time breathing. I condition with stress coat and there is a little ammo lock in there to try and keep his ammonia poisoning from getting worse.

What should I do? Im doing an ammonia test as we speak and i dont have the means to test anything else. His water should be at a about 78, because the house is at 82.

Just moved him into a smaller bowl with only an inch of water in it so he doesnt have to fight so hard to breath. No decorations, no nothing. He hasnt eaten in two days.
Devanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #2 
Ajones108

Why has he been on tetracycline? I need more backstory as to his previous habitat and what was ailing him before I can give you a somewhat accurate guess. How often you did water changes, etc. Also, bettas are jumping fish. No matter what you have them in, they will eventually jump. Best to keep the top covered. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #3 
Devanta

He is suffering from fin rot, cloudy eye, and ammonia poisoning. I change his water daily now, used to do it every two or three days. He is not eating, either. He has calmed down now that he is in only about two inches of water with stress coat. I have halved his dose of tetracycline as well. I want to run it all with epsoms, but I dont know how much and Im scared hell freak out again. Ammonia is .25, and I havent been able to get it any lower with AmmoLock. I keep my house at about 82-83 these days, so he should be at about 78 or so. Thats all I know about his tank conditions, I dont have the other test kits yet.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #4 
Ajones108

How is his ammonia so high when you are doing daily water changes? @_@ Do you know if your tap water naturally has ammonia in it? Also, are you using another conditioner besides AmmoLock?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #5 
Devanta

Stress coat. And yes, our tap water is terrible, but Ive been told not to filter it, and letting it sit isnt helping it either. x.x
Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #6 
callistra

How much of a water change are you doing? For a 1 gallon you should do a 100% change every 2-3 days tops. I've heard it said you can do it twice a week if one is 50% and one is 100% but in my experience ammonia is always present this way. There really should not be any ammonia present if you are changing daily unless you're just super overfeeding and letting food sink to the bottom.. What are you feeding how much does he get? You aren't letting food sink are you? When you clean do you rinse the gravel too? Otherwise there may be a lot of gunk in there.

Tetracycline is very stressful for fish. My fish hate it and I won't use it anymore for that reason. There are plenty of people who still use it, but I'm just saying I know tetracycline is really really hard on fish. Also tetracycline leaches out oxygen from the tank to a big degree so adding a bubbler (I have a skinny air diffusers that puts out TRUE mist) is helpful.. hard to find something calm enough for a 1 gallon though.

Stress coat can be used .5-1 full ml per gallon. How much are you using? For him at this time I would use the full 1ml.

You really NEED to get a tank thermometer so you know what the temp of his tank is and make sure when you do water changes that the temps are not dropping.

Last edited by callistra; 01-09-2012 at 07:15 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #7 
Devanta

Getting a thermometer, i do the full one ml, i only feed him three pellets twice a day, and if he doesnt eat them (which he doesnt x.x), I pull them out. He hasnt got any gravel. I need to use the tetracycline, unfortunately. Hes too sick to not. x.x
Old 01-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #8 
callistra

You need to find some way to get the ammonia down. Living .25ppm ammonia is going to be problematic. You might try switching to Prime conditioner. I have found it to be better in dealing with ammonia specifically. If your water is really THAT bad and it has that much free ammonia in it then I do suggest filtering it. My Betta has used RO water his whole life and he was been very very healthy until recently (4-5 y.o)
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Most likely what you are seeing is ammonium since you are using ammonia lock-the test products can't tell the difference.....

If your Betta is trying to get out of the water after you added the antibiotic he may be having a bad reaction and you need to get him back into fresh dechlrinated water-if his regular tank is still setup-I would use that water in a small QT container for now so not to shock him from extreme chemistry changes....

Be careful with too high temp with a compromised fish....you do need to get a thermometer to monitor the tank water and the replacement water used for water changes...

What kind of test products are you using and have you tested your source water for ammonia...if not I would recommend that you test the source water without any of the additives and test again with the additive and compare results...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breathing, desperate, fish jumping, very sick