Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 
stevenjohn21

Betta With Ammonia Poisining

*Ammonia Poisoining*

I bought my girlfriend a betta almost 6 months ago for her desk at work. He lives in a 2.5 gallon glass tank with filter and heaterat 78 degrees. Just before Christmas i asked her to bring him home so we could look after him during the holidays.

I noticed that he had obvious signs of ammonia burns due to torn fins and red markings on his fins and body. I tested the water and the ammonia was a little high but not dangerous so im guessing the water had been worse in the past. He still ate and was still active.

Anyway ive had him for maybe 3 weeks now in a 5 gallon glass tank, sponge filter and heater at 80 degrees. Ive been changing 50% of his water everyday and for the last 5 days ive been adding Melafix and some aquarium salt. His fins are starting to grow back as they are not torn looking anymore, but his blood red markings are not going. Is this a permanent mark or will they dissapear in time ? And if so how long ?

Last edited by stevenjohn21; 01-09-2012 at 12:33 PM.
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #2 
mjoy79

Can you post a pic? The markings could possibly be his coloring (he could be coloring up) if its mostly on his fins.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #3 
stevenjohn21

Im afraid this is the best picture i could get of him (never have been a good photographer)

His fins are healing and are a lot better than before, his fins are bright red and the body is more pinkish.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 
Luimeril

looks more like he's been tail biting, and is a marble. clean water should help out anything. :V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #5 
stevenjohn21

I dont think nipping his own tail would cause so much blood, it doesnt explain why he has blood patches on his head and body. Its not his color coming through either as you can tell better when the light is right over him.
Anyway thanks for trying, i guess i will just wait and see what happens.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #6 
mjoy79

The red on him looks like he's coloring up, to me :)
I have a marble crowntail that started out completely clear and he is now green/blue and starting to show some red. At first I thought it was a small injury, the first time I saw red but now I think he's changing colors on me. Bettas are so fun :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #7 
PitGurl

That is not blood it's his coloring. He is a marble and they often change color over time. You want to avoid using melafix as it can damage their laybrinth organ. Use Aquarium salt, 1 tsp per gallon but not long term.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote