Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

Meet Slate... and his story :-(

Well
After losing so many fish in such a short period of time, I figured I would wait some time (warmer weather) before considering "adpoting" or buying another
But of course, thats not how it happened
Obviously.... from the title, I have gotten a new betta
But first, let me say this
My younger sister (who got this new one for me) is a ONE betta owner, she has had him for about 2 years and plans to buy him his very own 10 gallon, live planted tank once she gets her own apartment. She has refused to get any other betta in fear her "baby" might get jealous

Well...
She accidently rescued another one... I was not there, but she told be what happened
She had gone into a holistic petstore to pick up dogfood and a new leash and of course like many of us betta owners, had to slip over and check out their bettas
They only had two.... she didnt get any pictures... but one, a dark blue veiltale, was covered in ich, ther was barely any fish showing according to her, of course, my sister went to the nearest employee to ask them about the betta
The employee told her he was very sick and they were going to wait for him to die... but he kept on kicking so they were probably going to just flush him (this is a HOLISTIC petstore) my sister of course was horrified, she demanded to see the manager and stormed off to the direction the employee pointed.... more or less what happened (our best guess) is the employee flushed the betta while my sister was gone, my sister of course was devistated (she wears her heart on her sleeve and has a soft spot for blue bettas), she demanded that the manager give the remaining betta to her for free and no longer sell bettas (their other fish are great looking, I went and checked on them after hearing the story)
The manager agreeded to give her the remaining betta for free and said that they had already decided to no longer sell bettas (the last ones)... so my sister ended up with another betta.... and no way to keep it... so he became my early birthday present (she knows Im a sucker for rescues... and bettas)

So, not Slate is safe, he has been acclimating to new water and is doing great.... no new pictures of him safe and sound, but I did capture the conditions he was in....

I promise... there is a fish in here.... you can barely see a shadow in the bottom...

The bottom

He is SO skinny

He's actually really pretty, hes a "grey" color with faint purple/red/pink... can't wait to see if he colors up

Hes REALLY friendly... though once I let him into the 1.5 gallon QT he SPAZZED... he swam in cicles and investigated EVERYTHING... comletely ignored me... he has finally calmed down and has been chilling at the top watching the girls (I made sure he had a good view )

His coloring....

LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #2 
Rjb5584

I honestly would never have known there was a fish in that first pic. I'm appalled. Anyone that doesn't think that living in similar conditions is that big of a deal has never experienced it. No living thing should ever be subjected to conditions like that.

On a brighter note, he's a gorgeous fish--I can't believe no one bought him before his cup got so disgusting.
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #3 
xbecky685x

Hes really pretty!
Shame about the other fish :( id never be able to do something like that!
But he is gorgeous! Cant wait to see what he will look like when hes completely healthy! Hes lucky your sister popped into the store :)
xx
xbecky685x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 
Gen2387

Awww... I really like what your sister did. I would probably do the same. I can't believe they left him in such conditions. That's animal cruelty right there. I'm sure he's much happier now.

By the coloring in the picture he's probably going to become a nice red and blu when he's feeling better. I can't wait for more pictures of him in his new environment!!!!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #5 
blueridge

I'm glad your sister saved him cause he is gorgeous!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

Tell your sister, one of the members all the way from Nova Scotia, Canada wishes she could hug her right now and say so many thank yous!! I am so happy he's out of that store, and even more happy they won't be selling more Bettas. I would have flipped my lid if they did that with me there, although I would have taken the VT with me while I contacted people... I trust no one. But good for her <3 Congrats on your new boy, he's beautiful. Reminds me of a CT we had here, he was gold/steel color with red mixed in. I don't know what happened to him :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #7 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjb5584 View Post
I honestly would never have known there was a fish in that first pic. I'm appalled. Anyone that doesn't think that living in similar conditions is that big of a deal has never experienced it. No living thing should ever be subjected to conditions like that.

On a brighter note, he's a gorgeous fish--I can't believe no one bought him before his cup got so disgusting.
I didn't either, when she gave me the cup and told me, I couldnt even see him till I looked at the bottom, completely GROSS, and there was MOLD growing in the bottom (old food?)

So am I, especially for a "holistic" petstore (all about oranic and the BEST stuff for pets)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbecky685x View Post
Hes really pretty!
Shame about the other fish :( id never be able to do something like that!
But he is gorgeous! Cant wait to see what he will look like when hes completely healthy! Hes lucky your sister popped into the store :)
xx
I know, Im horrified, I have ich medicine and parasite medicine.... BOUGHT from that STORE... so its not like they don't have it avaliable, pure laziness and cruelity ;-(
He is gorgoues he has perked up REALLY nice, skinny with a big belly (going to do parasite treatment probably in a couple days once hes settled down a bit) his coloring has yet to change... but he no longer has stress stripes
and he is VERY lucky, my sister normally prefers petsmart (they take good care of their bettas compared to how this store did) but she needed to buy dogfood for my mom (cheapest place for Blue B)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #9 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
Awww... I really like what your sister did. I would probably do the same. I can't believe they left him in such conditions. That's animal cruelty right there. I'm sure he's much happier now.

By the coloring in the picture he's probably going to become a nice red and blu when he's feeling better. I can't wait for more pictures of him in his new environment!!!!
Im surprised my sister did anything.... she is EXTREMELLY mellow (hates confrunting people)... but she REALLY loves her betta.... and so she has a soft spot for them.... especially Crowntails

Soon as my BF gets back Im taking new pictures no color changes.... but his stress stripes are GONE
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #10 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
I'm glad your sister saved him cause he is gorgeous!

Me to and he is