Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #1 
bohosbaby

Temperature Shock, Help

Hi guys, I've had my betta fish for just over 2 months. I came home from work last night to discover the heater had stopped working and the temperature had dropped to 50. My betta was in the bottom corner of the tank so still I thought he was dead. I panicked and took half the water out and put warm in, I've since found out this may have just made matters worse :( he immediately started swimming around and seemed fine but then a few minutes later he went back to the bottom. I changed the heater last night and the temperature is fine again. I've came home from work today to find him in the same position. He swims up to the top for air routinely but he's not eaten a thing since yesterday. When he does swim up for air he seems totally back to normal but at the bottom he looks just frozen and could almost be mistaken for dead. Thank you in advance for any advice given.
bohosbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems-if you can complete this and add to your post it will help us....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #3 
bohosbaby

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon (uk)
What temperature is your tank? At the moment 73
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Mini pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: Unknown
Nitrate: Unkown
pH: 8
Hardness: Unknown
Alkalinity: Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He was originally blue/green he's now looking a lot duller kind of gray looking along his sides
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He just lays at the bottom looking dead since the temperature drop, I've noticed this morning he's now laying bent too
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 nights ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No I don't know what to do for him
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him about 10 weeks

Hi I've completed it, he's really not happy at all now, he's just not moving at all I again thought he was dead this morning but I took the lid off and the movement sent him swimming straight to the top but he returned to the bottom again and has been there since, he's still not eating either.

Last edited by bohosbaby; 01-07-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It may be the water temp....while 73F isn't that cold...for some Bettas they can't tolerate long term too cool temp...try and get the temp up to at least 76F and somewhat stable and see if that helps any...
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #5 
bohosbaby

He died, I feel awful
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Dang...sorry for your loss....but don't give up...stuff happens...we learn, grow and get better.....
Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #7 
callistra

It's not your fault your heater stopped. These types of things are horrible but out of our control. It's not like you can sit and stare at the aquarium 24/7. You have to leave for hours or days at a time and in normal cases that wouldn't be an issue. Only thing I can suggest is not letting your house temp drop to 50 while you're gone.. but I'm sure you are just trying to save money.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote