Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #1 
MandiceP

I'mma Happy Girl! :D

So I just joined here and posted an intro thread to me and my two bettas on the Betta photos section, but I had to post this. A while back I expressed interest to my husband that I'd like to "get back into bettas" and eventually buy a breeding pair and try a spawn. So I kinda left the subject alone for a while and at work yesterday (I work at an all natural small one location pet store) I noticed a really nice Plakat male that we have for sale. Well I'm in love with this fish so I was trying to figure out what I could do to get him. LOL My current betta is in a 2.5 gallon at my apartment (the other one lives at my mom's house for now) and I have an empty ten gallon down stairs in my basement just chilling. So my boss's cousin happened to come into the store today while I was working (with the fish I love's bowl sitting next to my register so I could oogle him... lol) and I asked him if he could fashion me some tank dividers for my ten gallon. He works with plexi glass for a living and has made me a few things before. So he is going to make me some charcoal tinted dividers for my ten and I'm going to acquire 3 more bettas total (for now ). I asked my hubby when I got home if he was okay with this (just to be nice, his opinion matters to me!) and he said, and I quote "Do what ever you want, I don't mind" !!!!!!!!! I'm a happy girl right now! I love my hubby! lol So I'll be getting this male and then keeping my eyes open for a couple other fish that I can add to my collection. I'm stoked. I haven't had more than just one or two bettas in forever and I am excited! I took a couple pics of the fish I like. Here he is

We do keep our bettas for sale in ruffle bowls but rest assured that they are cared for. We do water changes every other day and they are fed sparingly and only what they consume, no old food is left in. We do have a few that are in much larger containers as examples of correct setups. We also send a detailed care sheet home with every betta purchase *a sheet I wrote, lol! We hardly ever lose bettas at the store and they tend to sell quickly. We also hand pick them from our supplier in person, so they are not mailed to our store :D Anywho. I'm so happy I'm bouncing up and down! LOL

Last edited by MandiceP; 01-09-2012 at 04:56 PM.
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

That's a very pretty betta! :D What's his name?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #3 
MandiceP

thank you! I actually am editing this cause I just picked a name for both of them. My black CT in my avatar is Shruikan (Shrew-kin) and this guy in this thread is going to be Glaedr (glay-der). They are named for two of the dragons in the Inheritance cycle books by Christopher Paolini. Glaedr was a gold dragon.... and this betta is a yellow dragon... Lol so yeah self explanatory there. The other name is the black dragon who is ridden by the evil emperor in the story. So it makes sense! YAY! lol okay I feel good about the names so those are final!

Last edited by MandiceP; 01-10-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 
BettaMommy531rip

I never really liked plakats. I'm more traditional. But this guy changes everything! Also there's this one plakat I've been ogling, but might not buy. He's a gorgeous turquoise marble, cambodian type guy. I don't know if I'll get him though. I just spent alot on tanks for the new bettas (I don't know what bettas I'll get, but I'm getting ready for whoever I choose) so I can't afford it right yet anyway.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #5 
MandiceP

Thank you! I've been secretly dying to get this fish since he came in the store and now that I have permission I'm ecstatic! I never really liked plakats or dragons until I saw him and like you said, he changed my mind about those too. I've always had a soft spot for yellows and mustard gasses but This guy is just beautiful I think. I can't wait to get him home into something square so I can show you all better pics!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #6 
Luimeril

oh, man, both of yours are beautiful! i'm sooo jealous. :V the pet store i shop at almost never gets Plakats at all! last one there was a 'giant' Plakat, but he was $15! Dx
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #7 
MandiceP

This guy is marked for retail at 19.99 but I get 30% off being an employee :D so I will pay about 15 including MA sales tax for him. I like working at pet stores and I'm happy to finally be free of the corporate world and I love the "mom and pop" place I'm at now. The fish room staff truly care about the fish and do whatever they can to keep them healthy and we also hand pick *most* of our fish... they get salt fish and corals from California but all fresh water and some salt is hand picked and bagged by my boss. So compared to when I worked at petco, we have significantly less loss each day and it's awesome!

All three of my bettas came from my store. I think our supplier probably imports but we pick them up there and drive them back here so it's less stress on them I think.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #8 
BettaMommy531rip

Yerp, I'm on team plakat! (not to say that I don't still looooove all the other fin types)
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #9 
Badjer

Ahhh Inheritance! Have you read the last book yet? I'm a huge fan. (:

Wow I normally don't care for white, but he's adorable!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #10 
MandiceP

I normally don't like white either but he's so shimmery it's cute! and his fins/belly are yellowish so that's fun too!

I have the last book, but I'm still only halfway done reading Brisingr... I know I know, wicked slow reader here! LOL I am also trying to get through Harry Potter again and I'm only half done with the 5th one so yeah, lol long way to go! I'm excited for the end of Inheritance tho! I've been waiting since High School (I graduated almost 8 years ago O.o) for the end of this series!!! LOL