Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #11 
Badjer

Jealous that you work at a petstore...the only ones we have around here are chain stores that can't hire anyone under 18. It's a shame, I'd love to try and get their bettas looking even half as pretty as the one at your store! =\

I started reading the series when I was really young...like, 3rd grade? XD I loved the series, but was kind of disappointed with the ending. Not going to spoil it for you though! You'll have to shoot me a PM sometime so we can discuss them. None of my friends read them because they're "too thick" haha!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #12 
MandiceP

Haha! yeah they are huge books. And I feel his writing style in the first one was really raw and he was trying way too hard! But you can definitely see growth and progression in his later books. I can't even remember where I am in the 3rd one! :P maybe I should start over with that one. I kinda expected from the moment I finished the second book that I'd be disappointed with the ending, as I was already disappointed with what was happening... but we'll see when I'm done... maybe I'll read that tonight and take a break from HP! lol I'll definitely PM you when I finish!

Our store hires at 16 with a working permit from the school. I kinda can't stand a couple people I work with but there aren't too many of us and we really all are well educated about the animals we carry (no cats and dogs, but small animals reptiles and fish). Any who. I wasn't able to take Glaedr home today cause I didn't realize a couple bills cleared and I couldn't afford to spend the money on him today. So I'll be bringing him home friday as originally planned. I got out my ten and I've been cleaning it for the last hour or so! I got a few new things to put in there so he'll be nice and comfy!!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #13 
BettaMommy531rip

What is "Inheritance"? I'm all into that fantasy/magyk/dragon stuff so can someone explain?
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #14 
LittleBettas

Its part of a series... Eragon (the first one) was made into a movie, I haven't read any after that the first one (my older sister took my books :-/ )

Gorgeous betta though... wish I had a "mom and pop" store to work at
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #15 
MandiceP

Yeah what LittleBettas said! Don't go see the movie tho as it was horribly low budget and terrible compared to how awesome the books are! I definitely suggest the books. In my state anyways, in US, they sell them at Stop and Shop in the book/video isle! Good read!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #16 
BettaMommy531rip

I think I know what you're talking about! I pass them sometimes at Barnes and Nobles (bookstore). Does the front cover of the first book have a dark blue dragon on it? And each book after that has a different dragon on the cover? I thought about getting it, but opted for Maximum Ride instead. Also I am saving to hopefully have 2 guy bettas shipped to me from Arkansas, and I just bought their tanks. 10 gallons (with all the fixings) so I'll probably check it out from the library instead of buying it.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #17 
MandiceP

yes! the first book, Eragon, has a blue dragon on it, the second book, Eldest, a red dragon, the third book, Brisingr, has a gold dragon, and the final book Inheritance, has a green dragon! They are great so far what I've read I've pretty much loved. I can't wait to finish off the series. Maximum Ride was a great book too! I'm a book worm so if anyone ever wants to chat fiction and Sci-fi fantasy books hit me up! LOL
Old 01-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #18 
MandiceP

Sorry, I was gonna edit the last post but I can't seem to find the Edit button? lol where did it go? I'm logged in, I dunno :/

Anywho. I found a video online today of how to safely cut plexiglass with a blade and I was able to make my new dividers fit better. So I put one in the ten gallon and have filled it with water. I'm currently conducting a test to see how the heater is going to work in this tank. The divider is a solid sheet of plexi. I didn't bother having the guy drill holes in it as I don't plan on filtering the tank, but the divider is not 100% water tight as I wanted to be able to move them around and add another should I decide to break the tank into 3 sections. They are very tightly fitted so there is no chance of the fish being able to move them, and they are over an inch taller than the water level so there will be no jumping over either. So needless to say I need to see how the heater I currently have is going to heat the two sides. If one side will be okay and the other will not be warm enough, or if they are both going to be okay, etc. So I currently have the tank filled with water and no gravel with the divider in and a heater on one side and two thermometers suctioned to the two sides. I'm going to allow the tank to heat the way it needs to and figure out if I need to get another heater for the other side and just set them both slightly lower or how this is actually going to work. Anyone with experience or advice is welcome to share! I can't wait to get Glaedr home!! Shruikan is currently flaring at the new empty tank next to his... lol he is put off by the sight of it at the moment!

Added:
Well I'm keeping an eye on the thermometers as I do some house work and they seem to be rising at the same exact temp. This is interesting. I'll post back a little later with a picture of how I have it set up... but it seems as tho both sides are exactly the same temp as the heater is heating the tank up.

Last edited by MandiceP; 01-11-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:52 AM   #19 
MandiceP

Well this is quite awesome. The two sides are exactly the same temp. I inquired to some of the fish guys at my store Tuesday about their thoughts on heating a tank with the dividers that I got and they all said the same thing... the side with the heater would be hotter and the other wouldn't be hot enough. Man I can't wait to go to work on Friday and tell them all how wrong they were I love proving my boss wrong cause he likes to try and tell people things he knows nothing about and then has the best reactions when you inform him with proof that he was wrong! LOL Anywho. The tank is slowly being raised to 78 degrees at the moment. We currently don't have hot water in our apartment as we are waiting on the gas company to come fix it, so I had to set the heater to its lowest setting and work it up slowly to a higher temp cause I was worried about cracking it going from really cold to really warm quickly. So hopefully by Friday afternoon the temp will be right where I want it, exactly the same on both sides... LOL
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #20 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiceP View Post
thank you! I actually am editing this cause I just picked a name for both of them. My black CT in my avatar is Shruikan (Shrew-kin) and this guy in this thread is going to be Glaedr (glay-der). They are named for two of the dragons in the Inheritance cycle books by Christopher Paolini. Glaedr was a gold dragon.... and this betta is a yellow dragon... Lol so yeah self explanatory there. The other name is the black dragon who is ridden by the evil emperor in the story. So it makes sense! YAY! lol okay I feel good about the names so those are final!
Those are great names! :D I've heard those are good books.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote