I called a pet shop and they told me to add a pinch of table salt to the bowl… so i did that.
I am feeding it freeze dried blood worms.
It sort of looks like there is a sore on the top of its head…but its not white or fuzzy or anything..just looks like a scrape.
First up, table salt is BAD. The only salt that should be used is either AQUARIUM SALT or EPSOM SALT. Epsom is for internal things like swelling. AQ salt is for fin rot or stuff on the outside of the fish.
Second, you should switch over to pellets or flakes. Pellets are usually better because they are less messy and flakes sometimes cause bloating. Bloodworms should only be used as a treat - maybe 1 or 2X a week.
Third, normal water changes should be 2X a week. one 100% and one 50%
However for now:
Do you know how big the bowl is?
I am guessing the fish is suffering from ammonia poisining, especially if its a tiny bowl and the water was never changed or not changed in a long time.
What I did when I got a fish from walmart that was in pretty rough shape due to ammonia poisining was this:
1) daily water changes, but i did it slowly - using a syringe.
2) Amquel Plus - I used this for the conditioner, supposedly it helps with ammonia poisioning.
3) kept his cup warm by floating it in a heated tank.
After a few days, he perked up and then I moved him into his own tank with a heater.
Make sure the water temp of the clean water is the same as the old water he is in.
Fin rot can usually be solved by super clean water and aquarium salt can be added to help fight infections but do not use it more then 10 days. Fins will regrow. Stress coat is good to have to help with the regrowth but for now I would say his main concern is the gills/ammonia poisioning.
Oh and my final word of advice, always seek a second opinion on advice given from petstores, especially petco and petsmart....
If he makes it, you may want to upgrade him to a bigger home (2-5 gallons would be ideal) and add a heater. They are tropical fish after all.