Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 
revolutionrocknroll

What should I put in my 10 gallon?

I just got a 10 gallon for Christmas, and I'm really excited about it!
I'm not going to stock it until this semester's over and I'm home in May, but I've been trying to decide what to put in it and I want to be as prepared as possible. In the meantime, it's cycling and a number of live plants are growing in it (anubias, amazon sword, water wisteria, and java ferns). I don't know what's considered "heavily planted" but it will have plenty of plants and hiding spaces by the time I can put fish in it, so that won't be a problem.
I have a 2.5 gallon tank with my male VT and a 1.75 quarantine/hospital tank with my female CT. At least one of them will be going into the 10 gallon.

What I'm thinking is:

1. Divide it three ways and have a betta in each section with some ghost shrimp and maybe a mystery snail. (Probably the easiest option).

2. Have a sorority with 5 female bettas.

3. A community tank. I like guppies but I know they don't always get along with male bettas. I could put my female betta in with them and maybe that would work better (I do have dividers if it didn't work out). I'm also wondering if Endler's Livebearers would be a better option. Would a ten gallon be good for those fish and if so, how many would be able to live in it?
With the guppies or livebearers and the betta, would I be able to have pygmy cories too or would that be pushing it?

If guppies or Endlers livebearers aren't a good idea, I think I'll just put bettas in there.

I like the idea of a community tank, but I'll have to do the most research about that, since I've only ever had bettas.

Also, any other suggestions or advice for stocking my tank are appreciated :)
Thanks!
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #2 
BettaStar1130

a lot of guppies have fancy finage. A male wont like that. Secondly not every male is community tank material. Have that in mind. Have some hiding spots. I have 7 neon tetra with my male VT, 3 ghost shrimp and 2 snails. The sorority tank could be great but you need to have hiding spots and allow time for the females to establish their pecking order. Every fish is different and has a different personality. You said you have dividers. Have them ready. But when it comes to the sorority dont divide them just give them time to get to know each other. Believe me when i say some finage will be lost when introducing female betta fish.

hope i helped
BettaStar1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #3 
scrap

tetras, rasboras, and platies can be as colorful as some guppies and get along quite well with most bettas...If you really want to do bettas with guppies I've heard of people adding a few in with a sorority...you'd need a bigger tank for that though....unless you go with a single female community. Just make sure there is plenty of cover for bettas and other tank mates..pretty much all of these call for it.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #4 
revolutionrocknroll

Thanks BettaStar1130 and scrap. You've given me some ideas. I'm still wondering about the Endlers livebearers and if I'd be able to keep pygmy cories with them and a betta too.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 
ManInBlack2010

i think if you had betta, endlers and corries it would be pushing it - i've got a female betta and 4 corries in a 10g and i'm pretty much at max. corries are schooling fish and need atleast a group of 4 to stay healthy, 6 is prefered but 10g is too small for that... you might get away with 6 pygmy in a 10g with a betta but i'm not positive... hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along and correct me if i'm wrong haha
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #6 
scrap

From what I've heard 6 pygmy is effectively 4 normal...just make sure it's pygmy, not just a small looking cory (some pet stores will have different breeds being smaller than others just because of age.) I've heard of endler's guppies and bettas being kept together but if I'm not mistaken they're one of the tank mates often better avoided if you don't have alternate housing options (basically it's not a definite problem nor a safe bet.) Anything in this category is best added BEFORE the betta, and allowed to get used to their home. This reduces the likelihood of nipping (if these even are nippers..not sure), and keeps the betta from felling his territory is being invaded.

Your best bet with the 10 gal is a more conventional betta community, the triple divide (make sure the shrimp have hiding spots, and the bettas don't have to see each other constantly...a cave for every betta, some java moss, and a tall plant in front of the dividers should work), or a single female plus the guppies

...but If I were you I'd save the guppies for later in a combination sorority+guppy with a bigger tank. (a 20 gall should be plenty for 6 females, as many endlers, and a few cleaner bottom feeders) It may just be my opinion but I think this would just have a lot more going for it, feeling less like a compromise

here is a video I've seen before of a male + guppy setup. Apparently she doesn't like the idea of a fancy guppy + sorority, but it's informative and maybe the endlers will do better.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I would do Endlers. The males are much smaller than guppies, and oh my goodness, they are so pretty. Like little streaks of rainbow. :)

Alternatively, I would do a sorority.

I have both. =D
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote