Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #1 
PSUPride923

Waiting on my mom.....

Mom just called me in a panic. She works in the health profession and one of her patients, who has cancer, asked her to take care of his/her fish. Mom called and said it was in a flower vase, with a Peace Lily, and horrible water conditions. She also said he/she, don't know the sex of the betta but we do know it is a veil tai, is swimming around slowly and looks pale. She is sending me pictures. I told her to put it in clean water IMMEDIATELY and do 50% water change every other day for a week and I told her to pick up some AQ Salt. I know I do not have any pictures to show the conditions of the fish, but is there any other suggestion that I can offer to her. We are both quite worried. I am happy to see my mom pursue/having a soft spot for bettas. :)
PSUPride923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #2 
BettaMommy531rip

You were right to tell her what you did. If the aquarium salt does not work in a week (give or take a bit) you might want to try something else. If the fish is not to bad off API stress coat conditioner should help (it is a great health enhancer) as well as those 50% water changes and lots of TLC.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Hold off on aquarium salt and just do 50-100% daily instead. If he shows signs of rot or fungus, then do aquarium salt (If you do, you'll want 100% daily changes and redose the salt each time).

Also, take the plant out if you're going to use aquarium salt since it tends to be rather harsh on them.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #4 
PSUPride923

I left for school, along with a 1 gallon tank. she is taking that to work and completely ditching the Peace Lily. She said the plant had mold in the roots and was practically dead.
PSUPride923 is offline   Reply With Quote