Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #1 
Bambi

royal blue CT + steel blue female

Bot parents have passed, the female soon after spawning(poor health overall,not from spawn damage) and the male just this morning(parasite). :/ I have no decent photos of either.
The male was a walmart save and the female came from petsmart.

the pair spawned the 23'd, hatch on christmas and are 15 days old.
on day of hatching there were 40 or so fry, as of today i count 30-31 but there are many who are still to small for me to focus on easily and i've found no /dead/ fry. I did however remove 3 who were having issues(turn over or stuck head down). They're being kept in a one gallon 'floating' in my 20gallon over night to check for improvements.

This spawn was mostly for color as i'm unsure of the female's tail type. The tail base seemed to 'wide' for most VT's i've had and she had slight web reduction indicative of having some CT in her.

I plan to keep the best 2-3 color wise then begin working on a bettering fin and body.

No picturs yet.
I got a new(old/used) camera for christmas, but it uses film so no picturs untill the fry are fully developed and I take pictures then have the pictures developed then can them onto my computer xD(with the hard copied going into "spawnlog" for futur reference when i work with this line xD.

I want to get decent enough CT's in, say,3 generations that I can enter the new breeders section at the shows. <.< One can dream eh? Plan to cross white into the line soon for a new branch. Now that i'm slowly getting more tank and more room I want to have more spawns going on.

For those curious who haven't seen me around(unlikely xD) They're being fed on decap BSE, might be getting some BBS and daphnia soon though. maybe. Set up is ten gallon tank, just conditioned tap water no IAL, fake plants, heated and covered. filled about 8gallons high with daily water changes.
Fry seem most active..well..right now(so middle of the night xD),but this is also when i'm up just staring at them all creepy like. I already have "favs".

Last edited by Bambi; 01-10-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #2 
bettalover2033

I'm sorry to hear about your pair! It's rare that a pair dies because of breeding, but it does happen. I'm glad this wasn't the case. The fry sound healthy. The colors will be interesting to see. I'd like to see how the combination will look.

What are your goals for this spawn? I know you stated colors, but do you mean a combination in between? Will you later introduce another color like, lets say, black?

Are you going for pure Rblue/Steel; Steel; Rblue or though/thinking about marbles? Marbles are my favorite BTW. Though I support you 100% regardless of your choice!

Good Luck and hopefully you'll get pictures up soon enough:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #3 
tpocicat

I'm really sorry you lost your pair. Hopefully some of the spawn will have the traits you are breeding for. I too am trying to spawn show bettas. Guess we are in this together.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #4 
Bambi

I should get mostly royal and steel blues from this spawn, but since they were pet store fish i'm also expecting some odd balls here and there. I haven't decided which way I'm going to swing yet color wise(royal or steel).

I wand to keep 3(at least one male and one female) so I guess it comes down to which ones end up being my favorites from this spawn. another factor to look at is web reduction so perhaps whichever blue the ones with the most web reduction end up being are the ones i will keep?

Genrally speaking(from what i've read) royal x steel with produce 50% of each, but with of course the exception of any stray genetics running around. SoI may just end up working with both royal and steel.

Up untill this spawn all i've worked with is marble. I LOVE them, but I want to get a more...predictable line going I think. I might introduce marble later if i can find a black/melano marble/butterfly. Marble is easy to introduce but harder to get rid of, like red. xD

Also,mini update. The fry are just over 2 weeks old(two weeks and 2 days). there's alot of size variation because they went about a week with no water changes(i was out of town for new years) but they all look healthy and enjoy watching me watch them. i did another head count and got to around 35 before my eyes started to cross, which sounds about right as i started with around 40 and had to remove 3 who were having issues but see no dead babies.

ETA:
just finished doing a 12% water change and i'm warming water for another one I plan to to after they finish eating.

also, i think i've asked this elsewhere but can't find it, has anyone tried setting up two spawns in one tank?
I was thinking divided 20gallon(divided into three parts) with a spawn on either side of the tank and the middle empty so they can't see each other, then when you removed the fathers and fry are free swimming removing the dividers? This would of course not be for people trying to keep certain strains clean.

@tpocicat oh? Have you set a goal and generation/time limit?

and yeah, i was rather fond of both parents. Most sad for the loss of the mom though, she was going to be a part of my sorority when i got more females.
Now i'm down to two adults, one old female(upwards of 4 years?) and one new-ish walmart female whom(with my experience with walmart x.x) i'm not expecting to live as long as my other girl.

hmm...maybe if i get enough females in this spawn i'll keep enough for a sorority then keep the 3 best males(one best royal one best steel and one with best web reduction). >.>

Last edited by Bambi; 01-10-2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: eta
Old 01-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #5 
tpocicat

No generation time limit, I'll just keep breeding the ones I think are the best. If I get any I think are good enough, I'll enter them in a local show (north or south California) and see what the judges think. That's the plan so far. I love marbles, I have a melano male, platinum male, adn red dragon male, to work with. I have a yellow dragon female, a blue marble female I might breed with my platinum male just to see what I get, but that is in the future. Just one spawn at a time;)
Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 
Bambi

Hehe yeah. If I had any males i'd be working on a second spawn right now. I miss living in Fresno,it was much less boring then where i am now and based on your lovelies they sell better fish there. xD

The marble and the plat sound like they would have nice babies.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #7 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I should get mostly royal and steel blues from this spawn, but since they were pet store fish i'm also expecting some odd balls here and there. I haven't decided which way I'm going to swing yet color wise(royal or steel).

I wand to keep 3(at least one male and one female) so I guess it comes down to which ones end up being my favorites from this spawn. another factor to look at is web reduction so perhaps whichever blue the ones with the most web reduction end up being are the ones i will keep?

Genrally speaking(from what i've read) royal x steel with produce 50% of each, but with of course the exception of any stray genetics running around. SoI may just end up working with both royal and steel.

Up untill this spawn all i've worked with is marble. I LOVE them, but I want to get a more...predictable line going I think. I might introduce marble later if i can find a black/melano marble/butterfly. Marble is easy to introduce but harder to get rid of, like red. xD

Ah, I see. So you basically want something different. I understand. Just to let you know, I want to work with the HMPK salamanders. They are beautiful and are adored by almost everyone I know (who enjoys fish of course)!

I agree that the marble gene can be very tricky to get out. It takes a while, but can be accomplished. It is known to even pop up in generations far from the original marble/s that you added prev. Very unpredictable and such a surprise when perfected the right way. I enjoy the surpise, but love the butterfly gene as well. Mostly HMPK's are my favorite so that's why I strongly want salamander HMPKs.

Just as a suggestion, try to look for even fins if any. Some generations do and some don't.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Would you believe that my royal blue pair produced some greens/turquoise? And they weren't from the fish market/LFS. Both breeders claimed that each came from a blue spawn..... I guess somewhere up their genetic tree there were greens....

Good luck on your fry. Hope they turn out the way you want them to.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #9 
tpocicat

You could always come visit. I get most of my bettas from Kaz's tropical fish. He imports them from Thailand.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #10 
Bambi

Bettalover, yeah Salamanders are lovely <3 and for the most part breed true from what i've seen of photos of their spawns.
I'm also a HMPK fan. ~giggles~ I find them lovely, but the only PK sold here are 'dragons' and not all of them have the hm spread. I'm crossing my fingers a breeder here in town will have some white HMPK soon to sell/donate/rehome to me xD
And I'll try to look for the best fin form possible but since the breeders weren't very grand themselves i'm not expecting to much in the first generation other then seeing where I stand for a starting point.

indjo : well the blues and greens are basicly the same gene, greens are just alot more rare, so it's doesn't surprise me a green would come from a blue spawn..just that you got some greens, lucky you <3

tpocicat I might do that. I have some friends up in Fresno it would be nice to see again aswell. Maybe when you black spawn grows up I'll come visit to take one or two off your hands. xD It's just a 5 hour bus ride there and 5 hours back. x.x