Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #11 
tpocicat

Bambi, you'd be welcome anytime.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #12 
Bambi

had a mini heart attack. Went to feed my fry and could only find two until i put food in the tank, the rest were hiding in the plants. ><
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #13 
tpocicat

That has happened to me too...they just seem to love hiding in the plants LOL, big fish eat little fish, they just feel safer there I think.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #14 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Bettalover, yeah Salamanders are lovely <3 and for the most part breed true from what i've seen of photos of their spawns.
I'm also a HMPK fan. ~giggles~ I find them lovely, but the only PK sold here are 'dragons' and not all of them have the hm spread. I'm crossing my fingers a breeder here in town will have some white HMPK soon to sell/donate/rehome to me xD
And I'll try to look for the best fin form possible but since the breeders weren't very grand themselves i'm not expecting to much in the first generation other then seeing where I stand for a starting point.

I like big fins and all, but I love that HMPK/PKs have attitude and speed. Plus everyone loves HMs. I like being a little different at times lol.

I love dragons! Though I have to say my favorite betta would be a DTPK or HMPKDT. I find that the female pkdts are just so cute and look very "clean" when they have even lobes.

Anyway, thats very wise to see how the first generation turns out and what you want to breed in or find a way to breed out.

I agree with indjo that you really never know what your going to get 100%, remember when I said that some genes could come back far away from when you introduced the color/s and used the marble gener for example. Well indjo has experience with that.

!!MAN I LOVE BETTAS!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
indjo : well the blues and greens are basicly the same gene, greens are just alot more rare, so it's doesn't surprise me a green would come from a blue spawn..just that you got some greens, lucky you <3
Do you have pictures of the "rare" green. I truly don't understand because where I'm at it's one of the most common color and often used to mix with metallics and other colors. Even green dragons are more common than blue dragons..... for some reason blue is more difficult to appear in dragon scales and are often covered by green.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #16 
Bambi

The rare green looks like a really rich forest green, will very little/no blue.
There's green with blue over it/mixed with it which isn't to hard to find. umm i'll look for a pic...but it's like a true purple...there's salamander which alot ofpeople call purple and think it's the rare one but it's not? ya know?

But that like...a melano isn't hard to find, but a melano with no iridescence over it is. Or how most white's develop red wash as they get older and getting a line with the redloss gene(where they would loose red and not gain it) is hard.

~giggles~~ I love dragons too,like my old Tux may he rest in piece, but without any dragon females around it would be a while before i set up a line.
I adore CTPK and HMPK...as long as the DT is even then i like dtpks..but most are the 'mitten' type where the split is to high or to low and it makes the fish look weird to me.

Update, found a dead fry when i woke up. I removed him and did a water change. He was one of the larger ones so i'm kinda bummed but i still have over 30 fry so I guess i should count myself lucky that i haven't really had any group deaths and such.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #17 
Bambi

http://bubblesandbettas.blogspot.com...ail-types.html

This is a green that had melano and peibald as well and i guess would be an ok example? but basically a nice dark green.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #18 
bettalover2033

Quote:
~giggles~~ I love dragons too,like my old Tux may he rest in piece, but without any dragon females around it would be a while before i set up a line.
I adore CTPK and HMPK...as long as the DT is even then i like dtpks..but most are the 'mitten' type where the split is to high or to low and it makes the fish look weird to me.

Update, found a dead fry when i woke up. I removed him and did a water change. He was one of the larger ones so i'm kinda bummed but i still have over 30 fry so I guess i should count myself lucky that i haven't really had any group deaths and such.
Well if you really are thinking of having a lone of hmpk or eben hm dragons and there are only males around you, I suggest buying online. Maybe even from chard or somone else.

I cant really say much about CTPKs. I crossed a pair before but the fry didnt make it. Though I havent really had much of an experience with them. Also ive mostly seen them at their worst so that wouldnt make it better at all.

Im sorry to hear that a fry died, but dont worry there are many more and some that you may find later down the road. Trust me I think this spawn is going to have a good outcome!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #19 
BeautifulBetta

Quote:

http://bubblesandbettas.blogspot.com...ail-types.html

This is a green that had melano and peibald as well and i guess would be an ok example? but basically a nice dark green.
Omg, that almost doesnt look real, its soooo beautiful :)
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #20 
Bambi

well, with long fin being dominate a ct + a pk would give you combtails the first gen anyway. you would have to cross the two with the best web reduction together. I'm not a big CT fan because of how their rays curl in hard water. But the CTPK's i've seen seem to be a little more sturdy in that regard and look kinda...badass xD

Also, as much as I adore Chard babies, if i was going to pay for shipping he would have to have a stunning pair cheaper then I could buy from aquaid. xD because i'd be willing to pay the extra five to get it from thailand if it was better quality. I just HATE paying shipping.

And yeah, this is probably one of my more..healthy? spawns. I've had larger ones and lost alot of fry(starting with eighty ending in like 20-30). This one was smaller(about 40) but I've lost less fry. since most deaths i've had in other spawns happen in the first 3 weeks(bad genetics dying off/weaker fry dying) i'm almost 'in the clear' *knock on wood*.

On the green: isn't it? I've considered getting a turquoise or less vibrant green and breeding it to a melano to work with a line to try to produce something similar. But I need a really fish room and multiple breeding tank set up before i start working on other things. xD

Last edited by Bambi; 01-13-2012 at 01:27 AM.