Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #31 
bettalover2033

Sounds like everything is going according to plan.

Good luck.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #32 
Bambi

Yeah. I just lve sitting and watching my fry.

I'm thinking I might do a second spawn. Either dragon hmpk x hmpk or HM x hmpk if my petco has a decent HMPK girl. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see when they're next shipment is and if they can order some maybe...
Hopefully I can get a good pair and stat conditioning them by the time this month is 5 weeks old and then bred by the time this spawn is 6-7 weeks old.
Then simply move this spawn into a larger grow out, then move the new fry into the ten gallon. And when it's time to jar up/move to more permanent tanks/sell this spawn the second should be ready for the grow out? And I can keep it going like that. Have two lines to work on in a rounding fashion... Hmm >.>
..or maybe a DT girl instead of a HMPK girl. :o D;
I always think too much when U'm up at one in the morning. ~goes back to staring at my fry~
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #33 
tpocicat

Time to go to bed, you will be better able to plan your next spawn after a good night's sleep LOL :)
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #34 
Bambi

Haha, indeed. I've been pouring over my notebook to see what I would need to buy other then the pair since I still have more then enough food, a tank, heater and such.
If I wait till after the first to get the pair i'll have enough to get some plants and such too....might even be able to afford a pair from aquabid instead of petco.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #35 
bettalover2033

Well Yeah any thoughts past 1 am is pretty dangerous for me lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #36 
tpocicat

I'm glad you had your sleep. Best of luck with your betta spawn plans. I love it when a plan works out the way you hope it does.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #37 
Bambi

Haha come Saturday I'll be on the side of town by our petco. I'mma ask the BF to swing by with me and I'll ask about their shipments and see their quality then. Then check again when I have money and if I don't see something stunning I'll turn to aquabid.
I just need to decide what I really want to breed color wise. If I end up going the aquabid route I'm thinking superblack x melano or gold dragons >.> Or marbles..guess it depends on who stands out xD
Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 AM   #38 
bettalover2033

Wow. Well I love dragons so I support you on any dragon kind. Annyway, marbles are cool, but it really depends on which one you feel is right and what fits your personal preference.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #39 
Bambi

They'll have some new ones right around the first when I have money to get everything.

Update on the spawn: NEVER forget the importance of a working heater.

I have an adjustable heater in my spawn tank set for 80/81, it plugged into an extention that goes through the wall and plug into a socket in the kitchen. I guess While I was gone this weekend someone unplugged it thinking it was for the toaster or something(despite it being big and green and going through the wall....). So the temp dropped and I lost a few from the sudden change. :/ I had a backup preset heater in there(keep the water above 76, generally around 78 pluged) so the water didn't get cold-cold. But I guess the potential 5 degree drop(I wasn't here so I don't know) was too much for some of the small ones to handle.
I didn't get an exact count when I removed them but it wasn't pretty...
It looks like all my larger fry made it through though.

Tomorrow they will be one month(30days) old. A couple still look like they're only a week or so,but not many. I will separate them soon...maybe.

Another sad note,though not spawn related. My last female left from my first spawn FOREVER ago has pop eye. She's probably close to 4 years old now and though I'll treat she doesn't look to hot and I don't know if she'll make it.
----------------

On the note of the next possible spawn I think I'm leaning towards a dragon pair(gold,or white) or a Dragon male and marble HM or PK female. I know I'd only get partial dragon if anything from this but as long as I got one female from the spawn I could breed back to a dragon male(father or unrelated) to get thicker scales in F2...I think a line of multi/marble dragons could be fun to work with?

Last edited by Bambi; 01-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #40 
tpocicat

Multi/marble dragons! Now that sounds very interesting.