Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #1 
Dragony

My betta looks depressed?

I have a new betta that I purchased about 3 days ago. He shares a 30Litre tank with a platy. We did have 2 platy's but 1 died yesterday, and still not sure why!!

My betta looks very depressed, never fans out his fins and just lays on the bottom or in his cave all day.

I did about an 80% water change yesterday after the platy died and pH, temp everything is fine today. (I had the guy at the pet shop test my pH) and temp is 25C. He has a cave/ornament thing to hide in and a plant. Neither have sharp/rough bits so they aren't bothering him.

Platy also seems to be a little depressed today but I know they like to have other platy's around and I haven't managed to get him a new friend yet.

My Betta was fed day before yesterday and hasn't really hung around the top looking for more pellets so he didn't eat yesterday, however I tried to give him a couple of pellets today when he came to the top for air but he just spat it back out and then swam away so didn't seem interested in eating.

Really worried he's not well but can see no change in colour/brightness, no sign of spots, shedding or anything like that.

He just looks so miserable!!

Any suggestions?
Dragony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #2 
bluesushi

Perhaps he isn't used to all the space available to him- if he went from being in a small cup or bowl to a 30L tank it may take some adjusting... I'm no expert, but my bettas have always enjoyed lots of fake plants, corals, rocks etc. If he's the cautious type, plastic plants and things will allow him peace of mind that he can hide if needed while being out in the open. What is the lighting like? They are more active with a good light.
bluesushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #3 
Banicks

Hi Dragony,

It's not uncommon for bettas to have a period of adjustment from a tiny container into a larger tank.

This depression could be the adjustment period until he becomes more active, or, there could be something affecting both the remaining platy and betta which is what killed the first platy, or, something is amiss for the Betta’s conditioned – correct temperature, not enough hidey holes, water filter is causing too much current. So on and so forth.

The cause of concern here is why the initial platy died, if we can eliminate any diseases then we can assume a few more days may see the betta move out of the adjustment period and become more lively or something else is amiss.

Good luck!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #4 
Dragony

Thanks guys, I went down to see someone at the fish store today who thought maybe it's 'New Tank Syndrome' as it is a fairly new set up. I had been putting in the recommended bacteria (stability treatment for new tanks) but seemed to not be enough. Bought an ammonia treatment for them and put it in the tank this morning which seems to have perked him up. Then as I don't have an established cycle yet decided to do a full water change this afternoon. He's now eating and is back up and about and coming out of his cave. Also have borrowed a full test kit from a friend to keep careful tabs on the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate while the tank is being established properly so hopefully he should stay happy and healthy now
Dragony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #5 
Banicks

‘New Tank Syndrome’ is just the phrase used for the beginning of an unseeded cycle – often because it is a new tank.

Be careful with chemical additives, add one, you’ll need to buy another to up or down something else. So on and so forth, ideally it is best to let it take a natural course. Best way of lowering ammonia, nitrite or nitrate is a water change. If you’re trying to cycle it’s just a matter of doing a certain % water change without stalling the cycle. When I first started my fish store gave me fish waste – good stuff – free of charge. Poured this into my filter to kick start the cycle, gave my tank a boost of ammonia from the outset to get bacteria started. You can purchase it bottled from brands, they’ll call it different names, I think that might be what you got to add. But I’m not familiar with the ammonia treatment – is that to seed with ammonia or to lower it?

Fish stores will always be happy to sell you a product that ‘lowers’ or ‘ups’ anything. But it’s not always necessary. I’m not experienced with anything but Bettas, they’re readily adaptable to any pH or gH level, ideally neutral is the best. But that isn’t always possible. The other 3 you only need to be worried about are ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, all of which are solved with water changes.

Cycles just need a lot of patience and monitoring, with the right amount and % of water changes it will go well.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote