Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #1 
UhohCheerio

Breeder vs pet store?

What are the reasons to purchase a betta from a breeder rather than at a pet store?

My family has raised show dogs for 20 years so I am well versed in the tremendous number of problems associated with pet store puppies, but I was wondering if the problems are as bad for fish. Plus, living in Chicago with it's unpredictable weather, the thought of shipping fish makes me a little nervous.
UhohCheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

People pretty much buy from breeders over pet stores because they like more unique looking fish (although pet stores are starting to produce beauties) and because they require breeding stock that's predictable. Others choose not to support pet stores. All the reasons why you don't buy pet store Bettas for breeding is the same as pet store puppies. Unknown backgrounds, horrible conditions at puppy mills, unknown health and not usually as strong/healthy as a breeder dog. Also breeder fish/dogs are taken care of better because they are bred for quality, where pet store dogs/fish are bred for numbers and sales.

If you just want a pet, pet store Bettas are great. I have a house full of them. But they don't hold a candle to my breeder Bettas.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

With pet shop Bettas and even some of the Bettas you get off aquabid...you won't know much about the genetic history.....depending on your goals this may or may not be important to you....IMO nothing wrong with starting out with unknown genetics....the down side is that it may take you longer to reach goals...but not impossible....

Even with the aquabid Betta you don't always get history...good responsible breeder will provide genetic history....Breeders vary...as you know with breeding dogs....you have responsible and not so responsible breeders......

By starting with a known genetic history and related breeding pair-usually spawn siblings from a responsible breeder-you can predict more of what the offspring will be like...you pretty much continue that breeders line....you don't have issue with fish inbreeding like you do with dogs-its common practice to pair sibling, father over daughter, son over mother...etc......

Starting with mystery genetic can also be a lot of fun...you never know what you will end up with...but as I posted....if you have a certain goal in mind...it may take you longer to reach it.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #4 
Marvel170

Pet store fish come from breeders.Pet stores are also very conveient if you don't want to pay for shipping and fear of them being DOA..The cons to this are pet stores usually don't take very good care of the fish that they get, so some of them are dead, dying, or sick half the time.But there are some good choices and healthy fish at the petstores too.If you do go with a pet store then look for the most active and healthy looking fish that they have.

Breeders are good and some breeders garantee a live fish on arriaval and re-emberus(sorry for the spelling error) you if the fish is DOA. Another good thing about breeders is that if they keep records of the fish they breed you can ask for the genetic line and if there is any genetic defects that you should worry about. On the other hand like I mentioned you have to pay for shipping and if the fish is okay. If you do go with a breeder look around and find a good reputable breeder to purchase from.
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #5 
BettaMommy531rip

I would go with a breeder. I have found a few great ones. Some of them have accounts on this website. Chard56 and 1fish2fish are great. Also google www.basementbettas.com, they as well have great bettas!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #6 
Laki

Depends on what you're looking for, as others have stated. Most pet stores are stocked by mass breeding mill type things (as is common for ALL pets in the pet selling industry). You're correct to assume the conditions may be as bad as a puppy mill bc they are being multiplied to produce a profit- not to continue good genes or much else of anything.
I think the distance maintained in the fact that bettas are fish while puppies and kittens are more of a personal, cuddly family member is the line drawn. Most people know a fish has less capacity for feeling than does a puppy who was churned out of a flea ridden, poop matted terrier in a cage. Animal rights laws are different in NA than they are in South Asia (where a lot of the betta mills are), you can find vidoes on YT of Singapore breeders feeding their stock.. They house thousands of bettas before sale, so you can imagine the actual care involved.
I will however point out that some of the mills try new tactics for cleaning and distribution and many workers there are in it for the love of the fish and what they create.
I hate to buy from pet stores bc I don't like supporting stores that sell live animals but I know I provide Lakitu with the best home he could ever have wanted! He came from a tiny bowl and now has a good retirement :)
[ridiculous post over]
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #7 
MandiceP

Not all pet stores are bad tho... Look for local mom and pop type places because chances are they are supporting local retailers or sellers. I know this cause I work at one We also take the best care possible of our bettas. We keep in about 25 at a time and they get their water changed often and we make sure they are fed. I have been also making sure they are labeled correctly! We also pass out correct care sheets when we sell them! We also buy them from a local supplier who has them imported. We hand pick out the bettas we want and drive them back to our store. So just giving an example that not all pet stores are bad. Corporate places are more likely to be careless about their stock and how they are cared for... but I've still seen some amazing looking half moons and such at Petcos so you never know until you see them really. :/

When it comes down to it tho if you are able to buy from a breeder, be it local or via shipping, it is probably your best bet. Like others have said you can find better color/fin types and they usually will guarantee the fish and you know you are getting a quality specimen. Just my thoughts.
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #8 
BettaMommy531rip

Wish I had a mom and pop store *sniffle*.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #9 
MandiceP

I wish my store would hit it big and open retail locations near everyone on here to share our awesomeness... lol (is my ego showing?) nah. I just feel really blessed to work in the store that I do. We don't even sell any dog or cat food with fillers or by-products or bad preservatives. All natural all the time. I also like to promote the better quality fish foods. Frozen or freeze dried stuff or the Omega One brand who's first ingredient(s) are all fish meat! So yeah. It's awesome. I don't take it for granted for one second. I'm also excited to do lots more research on spawning bettas as my boss has agreed to buy some from me to sell in the store if I am successful! That makes me happy too!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

.... -writes down where you live- jk If I could I'd do a bloody road trip to a decent store x)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote