Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #11 
aejh143

So the water has slowly risen to 76 degrees. Griff is still laying on the bottom, though he did move positions on the bottom from the time I went to take a nap to an hour later. This time he's laying on the bottom of the little roman pillars I have as decoration. The base of those pillars is on top of the warmer. I wonder if he's trying to get warm?

Also, I looked around for his original bowl and I found out that he is a halfmoon betta. When I checked to see what he is supposed to look like, I realized his fins just don't look good. So I dropped some Betta Revive in the water. I will do this for at least 3 days. I hope he sticks around that long...

I know with Betta Revive (and since he's not doing so well anyway) I should be doing 100% water changes daily, correct? I'm off to see how to fully change the water the RIGHT way.

Oh and just an update, I did the math. We put 2 1/2 quarts in the bowl last night for him and it is almost full. There's probably 1/2 quart room left to the lip of the bowl. So he doesn't even have 1 gallon to swim around in, more like 3/4 gallon. A larger tank is on the to do list...I have to get the budget to do so, or adjust some things on this month's budget.

Thanks again for y'alls help.
aejh143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #12 
callistra

Errr that's got Malachite Green in it.. Were you careful to dose it correctly for the amount of water? Malachite green is toxic and you really want to be careful with that stuff. In fact that as like three or four different fairly potent and very different ingredients in it. I wouldn't just be throwing that around, especially when your betta is already this stressed.. I don't think that's going to help at all..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #13 
aejh143

I did the exact dosage...man that's no good since I read up about it and saw results from people using it were good
Old 01-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #14 
aejh143

what should I use instead?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #15 
callistra

well yeah because it treats everything and anything under the sun with those ingredients.. it's much better to know what's wrong with your fish and treat with the correct med that throwing something in that treats everything with a ton of ingredients. Your fish's fins don't look that bad to me. He probably had bad water at the fish store and some time, tcl and clean water would probably have cleared it up. I, personally, don't medicate for fin rot unless it's chronic or very rapid progression. Since your fish is already super stressed I would not be adding any kind of medication at this point.

As far as the twitching.. is there any way something could have gotten into the tank? Soap can do that.. you didn't wash anything in soap did you? Also should rinse anything you put into the tank with hot tap water and sometimes depending on what it is I even soak before letting it enter the tank. I wonder if he's got something in there more than the water shock itself.. Also what dechlorinator do you use and how much did you add?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #16 
aejh143

I did rinse, yes. No soap either, just a good rinsing and hand scrubbing before putting the stuff in the tank.
Also, I should say, he twitched only when I moved the bowl. That's really the only time he moves is when I move him. Not just outright twitching...
I used Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner. Today at the pet store, the strip test she did said the water in his tank had zero chlorine. For that conditioner, it says to add 16 drops per quart so we added 40 since we did 2 1/2 quarts.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #17 
aejh143

Your profile photo is great by the way :)
Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #18 
Gen2387

Poor little guy, he looks pretty pale. Probably because he's not feeling good. Hope he makes it. Keep us updated.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #19 
aejh143

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Since your fish is already super stressed I would not be adding any kind of medication at this point.
One more question on this then: would you recommend I just don't use it again? Or since it's already been used once, do I need to run through the 3 day cycle like the box says?
Old 01-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #20 
callistra

Well this is the problem with starting a medication.. if he does have some minor bacterial problem (which I don't *think* is his major problem) and you start a med but don't finish it you could actually make this infection much worse. On the other hand, if you continue this stressful treatment while he is this weak and stressed you can make his condition worse too. I am hesitant to be really secure in either suggestion.

Tags
acclimate, help betta fish