Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Corydora ill - Need Corydora Expert (Large Picture)

I already posted this in the catfish thread on tropicalfishkeeping, but that thread is mostly dead, so I want to post this here too, to possibly get help. It looks like freshwater ich but again I'm not certain, and even still I'll need a way to treat a corydora, since AQ salt can't be used. Sorry for the large picture. So my question is,

What is it, and how do I treat him?

Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #2 
Silverfang

if it looks like he's dusted with salt, then it probably is ich. However I have never dealt with it, or am sure how to treat it besides salt.

Bump in hopes someone more knowledgeable can help.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #3 
hedgehog

Oh no poor panda! I've never personally dealt with ich and cories so all my information comes from the net. It's from a few different sources all with the same info if that makes you feel me comfortable. Ich can't reproduce in high temps from what I read. It's recommended to raise the temperature 2 degrees F every hour until you reach 86F. You will also need to increase the oxygen and surface agitation by adding an airstone or reducing the water level so that the filter creates a splashing waterfall. Increased water changes can also help (25% per day). These are the three methods I have found that people successfully used to combat ich in cory tanks.

A few people also recommended low dose AQ salt and slowly increasing the dose but I would do this as a last resort even after going out and getting ich specific medicine. More people have problems with salt than it actually helping.

Again I got all this information from the web but I made sure there were multiple sources. You can choose to do with the information what you want. I hope your panda gets better soon and that the other fishes don't catch it!
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #4 
Ajones108

I isolated him in a 5g tank and its heated to 80 degrees. I actually removed 5 gallons of water from the 30g he was in and put it in a 5g tank so that I wouldn't have to acclimate him and stress him out. I'm going to put a small bubble strip in there now and give it some agitation. Right now though he's alone. See, I thought it was ich too until I Googled ich on corycat and the pictures didn't look like my little guy. My little guy looks like he has cottony spores on him, the other photos just look like white dust.

Thanks for your input guys. I really hope he pulls through this. He seems to be breathing pretty hard but he hasn't eaten and he's not incredibly active. I thought about dosing him with some malachite green and hoping for the best but right now I just don't know what to do.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #5 
hedgehog

I found a picture of columnaris on a cory cat. Is this more what it looks like in person. I understand it's hard to get good pictures of sick fishes to accurately show what's going on.

If it looks like this it's probably columnaris. Columnaris actually requires you to lower the water temperature slowly to stop it from progressing. It should be treated with antibiotics like Maracyn 1 and 2.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #6 
callistra

I was going to say.. doesn't look like ich to me.. looks fuzzy but it could be the pic quality.

Do not turn up the heat if it's cottony!!! That will speed up the progression of the bacterial condition and it will only kill him faster.

I don't know if Kanaplex is okay for this fish.. I would research it. But if it is it should treat it. Furan Two is another one.

How cold can these fish take it? If you can get it -below- 76 it can help.

Last edited by callistra; 01-10-2012 at 09:00 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
How cold can these fish take it? If you can get it -below- 76 it can help.
They can get down to 72F and still be fine.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #8 
Ajones108

His little spots do look slightly cottony but they don't look as extreme as that poor fish in that photo. o.o The first thing I thought when I saw my cory was fungus instead of ich but at the same time it's so hard to tell because the spots are as small as ich and widespread, but cottony like columnaris.

His temp is currently 80... I can TRY to bring it down but it's so hot in my room. I'll drop his heater to 76 so that it won't heat his tank anymore. I DO have a box of Maracyn laying around. If it does spread like this photo shows of columnaris, I'll definitely know what it is...
Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #9 
callistra

Unfortunetly, Maracyn doesn't treat Columnaris. It's just Erythromyacin. Maracyn 2 has some potential (though isn't the best option) and most will use in combo because they complement each other well and will cover any secondary issue.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:17 AM   #10 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Unfortunetly, Maracyn doesn't treat Columnaris. It's just Erythromyacin. Maracyn 2 has some potential (though isn't the best option) and most will use in combo because they complement each other well and will cover any secondary issue.
Oops sorry I said that Maracyn would work. I found that listed as a treatment on another site. I hope everything works out with your cory OP.