Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #1 
a123andpoof

Major fin damage

I have not been on in a while as being on here just made me want way to many fish haha I have a betta I have had for around a year now. And he needs help thanks to me he is very ill.
I will admit I have gotten busy, I got chickens and my tank cleaning has gone down to once a month to once every month in my filtered ten gallon. My poor betta has no fins. I am thinking about killing him, but he seems to really want to live and doesn't seem to have given up so I want to try and save him. I do not think he has fin rot as the fins never went black, due to the bad water quality his fins just started to fall off. So now he literally has nothing. I am moving him to a 1 gallon tank with salt. How often should I change this, and when should I stop the salt?
Please save any lectures as I feel bad enough as it is. Just please help me so I can help Ryo. If you need any more information I will gladly give it.

Thank you
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would get a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and let this steep for about 30min and use this premixed treatment water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today
Tomorrow start 50% daily with this premixed treatment water for 3 days-On day 4 100%...repeat this schedule for 10 days
I would use a small bare QT container to treat him in that can be floated in the heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-77F range....you don't want too high temp with a compromised fish.....

Good nutrition is important for healing...good quality varied diet in small frequent meals-one need to be high protein-if you have access to mosquito larva offer them for one meal a day...

You know what to do to prevent it so I won't go into that.....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #3 
a123andpoof

Where can I get a tannin source? I am not sure my mom will take me to the store today. Possibly tomorrow...
Thanks I can't believe I let it get to this. A year ago I never would have dreamed of it. Its no excuse but things get hectic. I promise I will do better for my fish. I really do love them even if it doesn't seem that way.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If you have some pesticide free Oak trees near by...gather about 20 naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves-crush and add to the premixed jug of dechlorinated water with the salt

Or IAL but you usually have to get that online....

The longer they steep the more tannins released the darker the water the better for the Betta and the more they like it....
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #5 
a123andpoof

I dont have and oak tree. And if a local pet store doesn't carry IAL I won't be able to get that. Any other solutions?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Decaf green tea-but due to how it is processed it may not have the antibacterial/fungal properties-but the stained/darker water can help with stress....
Old 01-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #7 
a123andpoof

Okay. I will ask to stop at the local pet store on the way home tonight. If they don't I will use the green tea and see if I can find an oak tree at on of my parents properties. Tomorrow I will give my tank a deep clean ( I would do it tonight but I have college classes in an hour) If I can't find an oak tree I will see if I can order IAL. If anyone else has ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #8 
callistra

Vita Chem in the water and pellet soaks in garlic guard to boost his immune system. If you're willing to spend the extra $ it's worth it.

I'm sure he has ammonia poisoning at this point I would actually be treating with epsom to help leach the toxins out of his body. If he truely has NO fins left or it's close to his body I would also not treat conservatively with salts. I would add medication to the epsoms. I would suggest trying to find Kanaplex (Kanamyacin) and if you cannot the Maracyns in combo or Maracyn Plus may help you.

Last edited by callistra; 01-11-2012 at 04:28 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #9 
a123andpoof

Epsom salt? And what is garlic guard? will just regular garlic or a jar of garlic work? I will see if I can get to the petstore before or after class and look for one of those things. And what is vita chem and where can I get that? Walmart or local petstore?
Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #10 
callistra

It's garlic juice extract. Any pure 100% garlic juice extract should work. Make sure there's no added chems and crap and I would personally make it organic.I think Kent also makes garlic stuff, or you can try to find something suitable at the grocery store.

Vita chem is liquid vitamins for fish. They have a fresh water and marine formula. You use a couple drops per gallon (don't quote me directions will be on bottle) in the water once a week.

These really boost their ability to fight diseases on their own, so it will give your guy his best shot along with meds.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote