Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #11 
callistra

Doesn't surprise me someone tried to suggest it. A lot of people don't understand the whole gram positive gram negative treatment and bacteria conditions.

Now I have seen it claimed Maracyn Plus (not the same ingredients as either of the powered Maracyns ) works on Columnaris but that's new to me.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #12 
Ajones108

The box of Maracyn that I own says that it treats columnaris. :p
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #13 
callistra

Well that's false advertising. Columnaris is totally gram negative and Maracyn (Erythromyacin) treats mostly gram positive. I guess they're banking on the possibility it's not true columnaris or it's a very weak strain.

Last edited by callistra; 01-11-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #14 
Ajones108

I have wonderful news about the condition of my panda cory. So, last night I had a melanistius cory laying on its side and swimming sideways as if half of his body was paralyzed. So, I put him in the breeder trap and floated him overnight. He was gone by morning. My panda cory made it through last night, was still upright, just lethargic and covered in little spores. Well earlier today my fiance had to isolate another cory that was still in the 30g tank, who was ALSO laying on its his side. It was my julii cory. He was gone by the time I got home. So William and I went to our Petsupermarket where they see me at least twice a week on a normal basis, and the lady I was talking to directed me to the new manager who had been there for 2 weeks. I told him my story, and he was really curious. He told me that if it was a fungus, they would have rejected the shipment. So we walked over to the fish tanks, and would you believe it? He took one look at the panda cories and was like ohhhh look at that. One was dead, and upon looking at the others, they were covered in, can you guess it, FUNGUS! He turned unplugged their carbon filters, and dosed every single tank with their industrial strength fungus cure, not available on shelves and safe for EVERY fish. He said "I'm going to give you enough of this to dose both of your tanks. Use 3/4 of it in your 30g and the other 1/4 in your 10g tank. In 48 hours the fungus will be gone. Make sure to remove your carbon filter. I'll also give you a credit for 3 new panda corys so that when we get a new shipment in from our new supplier, you can get 3 healthy ones."

I came home, did a partial wc on the 10g and 30g, removed the filter in the 30g, and dosed up both tanks with the fungus cure. Can you believe it, my little panda cory that has fungus on him is already swimming his tank, and its only been 15 minutes! He's been so lethargic. The manager assured me that he would heal up and be ready for the community tank again in 2 days. :) *stoked!*
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Cories are very sensitive to salt so do not use salt treatment for ich. For treatment of a cory, I recommend using whatever you end up using at half strength because they are pretty sensitive to chemicals and meds. Try Furan 2, as it is readily available at Petsmart, and use it at half strength. Be prepared to yank him out if he starts to react to the meds though. Honestly, I've never treated a cory for columnaris before so I hope the Furan 2 is the key. Otherwise, you might want to try PimaFix and MelaFix combined.

EDIT: Just saw the final post. Hurray! But for future reference, yeah, cories don't like salt. I'm glad your little guy is feeling better. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #16 
Ajones108

Thanks Sakura, I've never used salt on my corycats. :)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #17 
callistra

Glad your fish got better :)

The two ingredients in Fungus Cure are Acriflavine and Malachite Green, just fyi.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #18 
Ajones108

Oh, the name of it isn't Fungus Cure, I just used it as an adjective, not a proper noun. :) I forgot the true name of it. But I watched the guy pour it into ALL of his tanks without hesitation so I know all of my guys are safe with it.