Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #11 
audjree

Welcome to the forum. (:

If you're treating him for fin rot, the usual treatment is 1 tsp of aquarium salt per gallon with 100% water changes everyday for 7-10 days. You can treat him in the cup to make water changes easier. To keep his water warm, float his cup in his tank water with the heater on. You shouldn't use AQ salt without 100% water changes or on a daily basis if you're not treating him for anything.

When his fin rot is gone, I think two 50% water changes each week with a 100% water change every other week is fine, if your tank isn't cycled (but, I'm not completely sure about this, you should check with others).

It's not needed to always add API Stresscoat with water conditioner, but it's completely fine to do so. I do because my male is a tailbiter and I like to keep his tail clean and infection-free. And when dosing water conditioner, it's best to dose it for the full volume of the tank, so in your case, 3.5 gallons. You don't have to worry about overdosing, because it would take an ungodly amount to harm your fish.

And yes, it's completely normal if he hasn't eaten. Just give him time, and eventually he should eat. There have been instances where bettas haven't eaten for 14+ days after coming to a new home, so be patient. (:

Last edited by audjree; 01-10-2012 at 08:11 PM.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #12 
sunnylover

Thank you for the advice! To treat him with aq salt in a cup, how long does he need to be in the cup?
sunnylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #13 
Pitluvs

Is there anyway you could pick up a cheap 0.5g tank for his treatments? These small tanks are always good to have on hand. I also have an old plastic cat food container that I cleaned well, and I have it marked at the 1g level. I treat my water in that and then fill my 0.5g tanks with it :) Makes it much easier. A cup isn't going to give him much room to swim and explore.

The tank I use is long, and 0.5g but it was only $6 at WalMart. You can get those small 0.5g tanks for $7-10 usually. Always good to have, trust me! Whenever I take new fish home, they all go in that tank for about a week until I know they are healthy. They are all treated in this small tank before going to their big ones.

Who wants to change 100% water every day in a 3g+ tank?! I certainly don't haha

Myself, I don't do 100% changes on sick fish either. I usually do 50% changes every day and 100% every 3-4 days. But, I've been treating my fish for quite a few months now and I feel confident in what I am doing. To someone who is new to Bettas, I would do the 100% changes everyday until you're comfortable.

One thing I like to do is have a bare bottom hospital tank (the 0.5g) and I use airline hose to suck all the poop out of the bottom. Then, I suck almost all of the water out with the airline (leaving enough to cover the Betta) and then add the clean treated water back to the tank ASAP using the airline hose. Not stressful at all for them.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #14 
sunnylover

I've got a 1 gal here at home from my other betta. I'm not entirely new to betta fish but my last one passed after 8 mo. All my others live atleast 2 yrs. Since the last one passed and broke my sons heart, I've been researching and learning a lot that I didn't know. Hence going from a 1 gal tank unheated to the setup this lil guy has now. So if I move him to the small tank, does he stay there 24/7 for the week while I do salt treatment? Wow. I read doing the salt wasn't that extreme and wasn't aware I'd need to change the water daily? Can someone explain why he'd need changes daily with aq salt and stress coat?

Last edited by sunnylover; 01-11-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: misspelled
Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #15 
BettaMommy531rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnylover View Post
Thanks! I am thinking I will continue to use the API stress coat for all his water changes since I have read such good things about it. Is that normal to use it all the time as a regular conditioner for the water?
Glad to hear it is a "normal" thing for him not to be eating. I am just hoping this other stuff will help him feel better too. Glad I was able to bring him to a good home and hope I can get him fixed up soon.
No it cannot be used as an everychange water conditioner. You have to use it one top of your normal conditioner. Glad to help!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #16 
tpocicat

Looks like you've gotten very good advice, so all I've got to say is, Welcome to the forum. You'll meet some very wonderful and warm hearted people here.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #17 
sunnylover

Update

Thank you everyone for the advice. Unfortunately this morning he was gone...I just don't think he was ever healthy to begin with. I took him back to petsmart a bit ago, tested water etc and everything was good on that. I felt awful though but the lady there told me sometimes there is just nothing you can do.

My son picked out a half moon and he is just gorgeous. Never had that kind before but he looks extremely healthy and has already eaten 2 pellets since coming home (he is still in his cup floating to get adjusted to tank temp).

I spent all morning cleaning the tank from the last fish and then replacing it all. Praying this Sunny (my son refused to give him a new name lol) does better than the last. I have already learned so much from the last few days and am hoping I won't need to use the knowledge with this new guy, but it is good to have.

RIP Sunny I
Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #18 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMommy531rip View Post
No it cannot be used as an everychange water conditioner. You have to use it one top of your normal conditioner. Glad to help!
Stress Coat can be used as an everyday water conditioner. If anything, I'd recommend it if you cannot find Prime in your area.

Sorry to hear about your Sunny :( It's true, sometimes there's nothing you can really do. I have treated most of my boys for illness from the pet stores and most of them recover. Some of them don't :( At least he had a caring owner like you, he knew love.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #19 
tpocicat

So sorry to hear about Sunny I, will you be posting any pics of Sunny II?
Here's wishing you the best of luck with your new betta. (Half Moons HM are my favorite tail type BTW.)
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #20 
sunnylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
So sorry to hear about Sunny I, will you be posting any pics of Sunny II?
Here's wishing you the best of luck with your new betta. (Half Moons HM are my favorite tail type BTW.)
Thank you! :(

I am getting ready to post some pics of Sunny II as we speak. I believe is a half moon butterfly-he is blue/turquoise and yellow. :)