Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #1 
leepadilla

Swim bladder or oxygen deficiency?

I recently had my betta in his QT tank (about 1/16 gallon) for a good four weeks. I was consistently changing his water 3-4 times a week. Each change contained Epsom salt to treat what i thought was SBD. I have now put him into his 1.5 gallon tank and have fasted him for 2 days. He is now unable to swim to the bottom and is floating on his side at the top. He is not bloated because he has pooped and not eaten in 2 days.

His tank is about 77 degrees and has a heater. It has a rock/cave structure with a fake plant on it. I have heard that they may float due to oxygen deficiency in the water but i am at a standstill.
leepadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:19 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Was his QT heated? Temperature shock can cause swim bladder problems. If he is floating, it's more likely he has too much air, not a deficiency.

When you filled up his 1.5g, were there a lot of little gas bubbles? It's possible some of those gas bubbles got into his system and are causing him to float. With luck, when the bubbles dissipate, he'll regain control of his system.

Another possibility is he has a bacterial infection. How is his behavior otherwise? Can or will he eat?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #3 
leepadilla

No the qt tank was not heated but it was the same temperature. There were alot of gas bubbles when his bowl was first filled. he is no longer floating on his side and it appears he is able to swim down although i have yet to see him do so. He is just sitting at the top of the bowl in the corner. uninterested in anything
leepadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #4 
Sakura8

:( Hmm. You might try putting him in 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon and see if that helps perk him up. Otherwise, if his behavior doesn't change over the next day or so, we can try an antiobiotic.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote