Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

The sad tale of Panda and Creature the cavys

So, I had Honey (white with black ear). Once we resolved her "allergic to pine" thing, she's been doing wonderful. Since I work nights I felt bad not giving her enough attention. I found an ad, saying they had 2 longhaired guinea pigs, and thought it was perfect!

they came, dropped them off, left.

I examined them as I do with any new animal. Both were terribly boney... Creature (the ginger/white) hurts when you touch her sides or belly... Both reeked so bad of stale urine and feces, both had mats, their nails yellowed, and both on their right hind foot have a sore.

I cleaned them up, got rid of mats, trimmed back some hair... Creature has a rash on her rump. Their feet cleared up very well, and they are on a very good meal plan..
Honey's weight is 1 pound, at a small boned 2 month state :)
Creature bigger boned: 1.4
Panda big boned: 1.9

List so far of possibles and a few definites:
UTI/bladder stones, ovarian cysts/pregnancy, bumblefoot, mats, underweight, vitamin c defficiency....

Panda (black and white with a ginger rump :3 ) will make a good recovery I believe, Creature I am terribly worried about. THIS is pure neglect. >:( NOT a case of "we have allergies" it is a case of "we don't care for them". After I get them to a vet I'll report back about what's what, what can be done, and how severe Creature really is....
In the mean time, purty pictures, a few videos =D and the drawing I did up of what you cannot see, beneath that fluffy fur :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdq4n21MvHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOBkjCsQa0g

EDIT: since last night (Panda 1.9 and Creature 1.4) they are for weight this morning: Panda: 1.7 and Creature 1.6 o.o
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 01-23-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 
dew

Your room sounds like mine! Lol filters. I'm so glad their in good hands now. I'll make sure to keep them in my prayers. Good luck lil guys!
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

haha I know xD all you hear is the sound of filters and wheeking :3 I hope Creature pulls through. If she takes a drastic decline in this state, I literally believe she will have such a slim chance to make it. And then I'll be sad :( and then angry >:(
Old 01-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Awwwww.... they are beyond cute. Who could mistreat animals like that? Grrrrr!!!

I'm glad they're with someone who cares about them and will get them healthy again.

Crossing fingers for Creature (you've got to give her a cuter name btw).
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #5 
BettaMommy531rip

My friend had guinea pigs, but it turned out after a few months she was terribly allergic. So she had to give them to a rescue. The people who adopted them are great and e-mail her pictures!
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

>__> gosh darn. Do you have the people's contact of any sort by chance? If Creature didn't make it, or left you with some huge vet bills, I'd definitively ask the vet if you could report the previous owners for a case of animal cruelty. That's just ridiculous.
Must admit those guys are pretty adorable :D Wish my parents would let me have a furry, but after I was a bad pet owner when I was like 8, they don't trust me >_>
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Unfortunately... I talked to the vet. it will cost me 70.00 JUST for a check up.

However, I explained her condition, and he said there is a chance her kidneys are failing If they are, she'll be separated from Panda, as I will not have the money to put her down, and I will make her as comfortable as possible until I can pay for euthanasia, or she passes.

THIS is why people should realize PETS DO HAVE A MEANING pets HAVE a life THEY FEEL PAIN they SHOW pain!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That's horrible. All of that could have been prevented if people researched and actually were sure they wanted the pet :(
Old 01-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

What can I do to make her comfy? I'll need to remove her from Panda because I know she cannot control her bladder right now anyways... Easier to clean.. I did not expect costs of euthanasia, so soon, so I don't have the ability to pay for that right now. I've heard of people letting their guineas go on their own with kidney failure, that it is rather peaceful... I want her to be comfortable
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't really know anything about guinea pigs. Since they are friends though, the best thing I can suggest is to keep their cages close together still so Creature can still at least see her buddy. :(