Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #1 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Upgrading to stop fin chewing?

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I was last on here.
Well, my little Gilbert has been doing fine, except that he chews his tail like crazy- you can't even tell he's a crowntail anymore. :(

So, I was thinking, at the start of next month I want to get a second fishie, so I wanted to upgrade Gilbert into a 5gal and put the new guy into the 2.5gal.
I'd be able to add more decor and such and he'd have more room- probably put in some cherry shrimp also.

Has anyone had success in stopping tail chewing by upgrading tank size? I'd be so happy if he'd stop, or at least not do it as much.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #2 
Luimeril

i found that if my tail biters were in at least 2 gallons, that stopped them. also, i'd change around their decor at every water change, so they were never bored
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #3 
nel3

not sure if this did it but my VT was a avid biter. kept him in a .5g for the longest time as he chewed in any larger tank. i tossed him in to my 5g divided bc the constant 0,5g water changes. i packed his side 70% full of plants and visual obstructions. in the past 2 months he's had one episode but his habit seems to be gone for the most part. he was even seeing my DT on the other side and this setup seemed to work fro him personally. i suggest you try heavily planting the tank, fake or real plants and many more hiding spots. there are other ways to stop them from biting, this method worked for me.

his previous tank upgrades attempts had alot of swimming space and very few hiding spots.

Last edited by nel3; 01-11-2012 at 09:37 AM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well he's in a 2.5gal right now- I have 2 live plants and a flowerpot- there isn't really much to rearrange, but I try.
So when I get the larger tank, I shall put a lot of stuff in there and change it often. Hopefully that'll work :D
Also can't wait to get a new guy <33
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #5 
Silver Spar

I have a CT that was in half a 10g divided tank with another unknown type on the other side (His fins were literally non-existant when I bought him - which is kinda why I bought him) He was biting his tail like crazy, and I think I was lucky to hit on his problem straight off - He was bored. I then moved him to a section of a divided 40g tank (4 compartments) and got a couple of Platys to keep him company - seemed quite happy after that.

OTOH I have a couple of blue VT males who can't tolerate being in larger spaces, and now currently share a divided 7g tank where they're quite happy.

It just seems to be down to the individual fish unfortunately.
Silver Spar is offline   Reply With Quote