Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #1 
KillerTofu

Popeye?

Hey guys sorry for another, "OMG IS MY FISH SICK?!" post (cause that's all I seem to do lol)
But I read someone else's post about popeye and noticed my fish's eye look similar.
So is this popeye?
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79~80F degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Lone Ranger

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 'Aqueon' Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two times daily (morning & night-4 pellets)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week-ish
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%-30% 2 X a week and 100% every week&1/2 to 2 weeks
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 'TopFin' Betta Water Conditioner (picked up API stress coat planning to switch to that)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes using some strips because my pet store doesnt carry those master ones._.

Ammonia: some color between 0 and .5ppm
Nitrite: .5ppm
Nitrate: again some color between 0 and .5ppm
pH: 6.8
Hardness: between 150 and 300 ppm D:
Alkalinity: 80ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I think his eyes were always buggy D:... Just now realizing it could possibly be popeye because I was reading through threads.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I really don't know :/- They must have been this way for a while (his eyes)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nope
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3 years

Thanks guys in advance<3
KillerTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #2 
Ajones108

He looks perfectly fine. :) If it was popeye the eye would be bigger than his head, and possibly cloudy.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 
callistra

That's not true.. the eye doesn't need to be like quadrupled in size to be popeye..

Your water routine schedule isn't doing enough to keep the ammonia down. With a 2 gallon uncycled tank you need to change the water 100% every 3-4 days but I see you may be trying to cycle the tank. You need to test daily (preferably with a drops kit) and any time you see any green you need to do a small change to bring it back in line. Are you saying you're feeding 4 pellets total or 4 pellets twice a day? When you clean the water are you vacuuming the gravel or rinsing it when you do the 100%?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #4 
KillerTofu

4 pellets twice a day. And I'm rinsing the gravel when I do 100% changes.
edit: and I was doing 100% once every week before I put the filter in, but this guy I work with who used to breed bettas told me that was too much... maybe he was under the impression that I had a bigger tank though.

Last edited by KillerTofu; 01-11-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

What a lovely Betta....IMO that doesn't look like popeye....

In a 2.5gal filtered tank I would recommend increase in the water changes to 50% twice weekly....1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method to maintain water quality and stop the 100%....

Filter media need a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow.

In 2.5gal filtered tank the nitrogen cycle isn't always stable due to limited surface area for the beneficial bacteria/biological filtration-it will cycle and you don't need the 100% water changes and then you have a fairly low pH and along with the dechlorinator that you are using that can change ammonia to ammonium-this may be why you are getting the results you are seeing since the test products can't tell the difference....

Sometimes the test strips can give skewed readings usually due to timelines in reading the results-the nitrite reading is more of a concern to me than the ammonia since that can be explained.....are you using any other additive like a cycle product or plant food of any kind and have you tested your source water levels for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH...if not test the source water without any additives and test it again with additive you normally use and compare numbers along with a current tank test.....

What is your source water and if using tap water-does this water go through a water softening unit on the house (not recommended)

Often the best water tester is the Betta and your observation...good that he is acting his normal self, responsive to you and eating well....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-11-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #6 
KillerTofu

Thankyou =)
Just to be sure I think I read a post about stir and dip, that involves stirring up the water and substrate then scooping the water out with a cup? ( I bought a gravel vac online so that should be here soon.)
And nope just adding the dechlorinator. I haven't tested the source water, but I'll do that now. It's tap water and I don't think we have it going through a softening unit.
Also, I bought a gallon of spring water. I usually have the empty gallon sitting around for measuring out the water conditioner for water changes. But my empty one cracked. Is it okay to add spring water to the tap water that I have in there? or will it mess up the PH or something? @_@
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Mixing the tap with bottled along with the proper dose of dechlorinator is fine.

The stir and dip method is what I recommend when you don't have a vacuum..

Any live plants in the tank....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #8 
KillerTofu

Oh okay good - that green & yellow thing in the backround is real
Old 01-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #9 
jfw

The variegated green plant in the pic looks awfully similar to one I bought mistakenly thinking it was aquatic. Did you get it from petsmart in a tube? If so its not fully aquatic and will eventually rot. If that is the case I was able to return mine. Was it called ribbon plant or something like that?
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #10 
KillerTofu

aww yeah |:< damn that petsmart... I'm having to order things online because they don't keep things like gravel vacs and master water test kits in stock... They didn't even have small heaters when I went, said they had to order them- that was before Christmas- still no heaters D:< Thankyou for the warning.