Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
KMJBandmooch

Mooch is acting Drunk..... ??

okay so im new(relatively) and so is mooch, i got him 4 days ago, and hes doing something new. he will swim normally, and then, for NO reason stop. seem to fall asleep, and turn sideways a little, looking like he just died, then "wake up?" and swim around. flare, and repeat? hes had a pretty continual flare going on, and i have NO flipping idea whats going on. hes probably acting crazzzyyy just like his owner? i just hope hes okay....
KMJBandmooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 
Zappity

He's probably got SBD, aka Swim Bladder Disorder. I don't really know the proper treatment, I'd reccomend asking Myates or OldFishLady or someone like that :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 
callistra

Please fill this out:

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #4 
KMJBandmooch

im pretty sure hes fine. didnt seem like swim bladder cuz he would only go a little sideways when i was there, i asked my mom to watch and he wouldnt do it, then i came back and stood there for 10 minutes and he kept doing it. he is not doing it today
Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #5 
callistra

That behavior is not fine, though I'm glad he's acting better. Please fill out the form if you would like some help.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #6 
KMJBandmooch

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 i just got the new tank and heater after i posted the message
Does your tank have a filter? yes i dont have it hooked up yet( Tetra whisper 2-5 gallon submmersible heater
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no ? not even sure what that is
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BEtta Bites ( by HBH
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day 2 pellets each time ( hes not really eating, occasionall he will. and sometimes he spits them out

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every 2 days before, every four days likely now
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%, will be starting 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes the water is fine

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? just noticed that his lower stomach near tail is bloated- not sure if he was like this when i got him- hes quite new
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he kinda goes/ tilts on his side, his rear floats above his head occasionally, hes been flaring ALOT, he will be swimming and then hell stop and fall asleep, then with no disruptance "wake up" seem startled etc. this morning he was sleeping very peculiarly, i have never known fish to basically curl up in a ball.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? just changed his water, not sure what to treat him with
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? umm, well i have had him under a week, so maybe a month? not sure how long a pet store would keep him
Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

If it is SBD (well, at least we know it is internal) there is an easy way to get rid of it. However, can you get a picture?

SBD treatment: float the betta in a 1 gallon container, in his tank. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of EPSOM salt in a cup of water, and stir before adding. Add in. You can up the dose to 3 teaspoons per gallon within the day. NOT all at once Daily 100% water changes, and add him back to the same amount of epsom salt/water ratio he was on.
Continue treatment until you see the bloat disappear. Continue treatment for three-six more days. Do not do the treatment longer than 10-14 days at a time.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote