Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #1 
antibabes

Quick feeding question

Iv had my Betta (Philip) for 4 days, hes getting on fine with the other fish, but im having trouble feeding him, i first fed him the fish flakes that iv been using for the other fish for ages, and he was just spitting it back out, so i went back to the store he came from and they gave me the flakes theyd been feeding him, same again he spat em out, so the next feeding time, i thought id treat the tank to some frozen larve, and once he could get past the speedy little tetras, he yummed up half the cube! i then tried flakes today, and again he spat them out, im now wondering what to feed him as i cant use frozen cubes everyday, and based on his slow swimming speed i need something that i can get in decent amount otherwise ill run out quick cos of the tetras.

so what should i feed him?
antibabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #2 
bahamut285

I would recommend possibly cupping your betta during mealtimes. You can contain him and feed him privately then just release him back after eating.

You can also try feeding your other fish on one side of the tank and your betta on the other side.

I'm not sure about feeding him flakes vs. half a cube of live food, as I feed mine pellets :)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

Cupping works, as does training your fish...if the tetras get fed in the same spot every day they won't generally notice food on another side of the tank very quickly...if you train your betta that that is his spot, then upon feeding time everyone will generally go where their spots are.

Also perhaps he doesn't like flakes. Try pellets and freeze-dried bloodworms...my boy eats all of that up. They are only $3-4 and since you use so few each time, they last a LONG time. (I've has the same packet of pellets and can of bloodworms for over a year now and they are still at least 3/4 full if not more)
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 
antibabes

thanks, i generally drop food in the middle of the tank so ill try different drop points, im curious what is cupping? does it involve removing him from the tank?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #5 
bahamut285

No, cupping just requires you to get a container to scoop/catch him in and remain floating in the tank just so he can have his own "private tank" for a few minutes while you feed him. It's like the opposite of acclimating. The convenient part is that you don't have to acclimate him after feeding, just release him because it's the same water chemistry and temperature anyway.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #6 
HayrideHaunter

You just scoop him up in perhaps the cup he came in, pour out enough water so there is an inch or so of space from the top, then if you set the cup on top of the water gently you should be able to get it to float ("floating" your betta)...then you can drop his food in the cup and release him easily when he's done
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #7 
antibabes

Thanks, ill see how he responds to the different options
Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know how big the frozen cubes are but half a cube seems like an awful lot. I think he would do better with pellets than flakes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #9 
Daisykd

Is this something I should try too? Arthur has his own 5 gallon tank he's been in since Wednesday. He doesn't really seem to be eating...
Daisykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #10 
bllauben

My betta refused any flakes, any pellets. He would only eat freeze dried (which I got him off of). I feed a "raw" diet of frozen foods, and occasionally, as a treat (which was okay-ed by an aquarium owner) a sliver of whatever meat I am preparing for my cats (also raw fed). It was awesome seeing him having a bit of chicken for the first time. After giving up on pellets and flakes, I saw how excited he got for his food and when I got my mollies and platties, I decided that they were to be fed raw as well. I have baby fry in the main tank and they are now starting to chase the raw food and are trying to "mouth" it. It takes more work with tank maintenance, but it is very rewarding to see and experience.
bllauben is offline   Reply With Quote