Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #1 
ILOVEMYBETTA44

Can my betta fish Marshall live in a 2.5 gallon tank with no heater of filter??

I love marshall and i dont want him to die! Do you guys think he can survive in these conditions? his water is conditioned, and hes been eating his food...Swims around alot and makes little bubbles on the surface..
ILOVEMYBETTA44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #2 
Leeniex

At the very least, he needs a heater. You can get one fairly cheap.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 
Fieldz

Well, if its really cold where you live a heater would be a good idea. They dont cost more than 20 dollars.

But theres no BIG necessity for a filter. Surely a filter is really good and helps alot, but as long as you take care of him properly and do WC twice weekly he can live in there perfectly.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #4 
Roxy

If your water temperature is anything below 76c, then yes, you will need a heater.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...6306371&sr=8-1

This is a good one for 2.5 gallon. ( I own one )
Roxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Some bettas dislike filters...as of course filters push them around. He won't need a filter, as bettas have a labrynth organ allowing them to breath air from the top of the water. Your tank however, won't cycle without a filter - which is okay too.

A heater however, would be best being a tropical fish, he'd enjoy having a heater
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #6 
Banicks

Betta's require very simple things, a tank, a heater, conditioned water, food and decorations.

Some may view a 2.5g as small, if you believe he is happy in that sized tank then providing you keep up with water changes it will suffice. Without a doubt however, Betta's require a stable and warm environment. This environment is best replicated by use of a heater.

You could get an adjustable heater or a betta heater. Preferably an adjustable heater as it maintains a set temperature and will turn itself off once that temperature is reach, and turn itself back on when it drops below. The issue you may find is that the smallest 25w adjustable heater may not fit your 2.5g.

If this is the case your other option is to purchase a betta heater. They are usually anything from 5w-10w submersible heat pads. The downside to these are they cannot be adjusted and they do not switch themselves off. Generally they are capable of heating the tank a few degrees above room temperature.

If your location however remains humid and warm all year round, meaning the tank temperature is within the acceptable betta range. Then you won't require a heater - but outside of Thailand/Malaysia and neighboring Asian countries - this is most likely not going to be the case.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #7 
ILOVEMYBETTA44

Hey guys, just an update on Marshall for ya, Me and my girlfriend decided to upgrade to a 5.5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter which we are going to put on the lowest setting for minimal water disturbance. We are currently getting the tank set up for marshall to live in. Also on a side note, we fear Marshall may have fin rot, so we bought him medication and began using it yesterday. Also i have a quick question, Marshall hasn't been eating his food since yesterday, just wondering if it may because of the medication? We are worried about our little guy :(
Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

What medication did you use? and how much of it did you use? Fin rot is actually pretty common,and usually the best cure for the start of fin rot, is clean water for more severe fin rot (and body rot) I would suggest meds....

some bettas won't eat when they are sick. If there are other signs, after giving him meds like listlessness, gasping laying on his side, immediately stop the medication and give him clean water.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 
ILOVEMYBETTA44

Okay good to know i gave him betta fin medicine its called bettafix....and i just did a 50% water change :) hes looking lively and swimming around nicely...still not eating yet tho :(
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #10 
ILOVEMYBETTA44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
If your water temperature is anything below 76c, then yes, you will need a heater.

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...6306371&sr=8-1

This is a good one for 2.5 gallon. ( I own one )
Hey ! i bought tht heater, jut wondering if i leave tht little cap on the bottom of it???