Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Some bettas seem to not take to bettafix very well - I usually avoid it if only because the tea tree oil isn't good for them... I like natural ways anyways :p

For fin rot, just keep the water clean and it should clear up.

If it doesn't, you want Aquarium salt (dissolved in a bucket or bowl, at one teaspoon per gallon to start)

And I have the same heater. take the cap off lol. It's a GREAT heater, the cap actually isn't needed...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

How is your betta? I really don't recommend to use bettafix. It will not help especially if he stopped eating.

Like Sena wrote you need Aquarium salt 1tsp/gall to start. Put him in smaller container. I am not sure how you can do it without heater though. What is the your room temperature? For salt treatment you need to do 100% daily water changes. And you need qt betta in the small container.

You need to pre mix Aquariums salt (which you can buy in any pet store) in 1 gall jug for the right dosage. You can take a gall from the spring water or from milk (just make sure you rinse it well) You need to do 100% daily water changes. Aquarium salt treatment should be no longer then 10 days. So start with 1tsp/gall for a few days and give the forum update. You might need to increase the dose. You also can put a cup he is in for the treatment in the tank to keep water warm. Just make sure he don’t jump out unless you decide to do it in his tank. It just more hassle to do 100% water changes in the big tank.

If you absolutely cannot do aq salt treatment I can tell you what medication you can use but definitely not BETAFIX

Last edited by ANHEL123; 01-13-2012 at 12:35 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

^+1
Old 01-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #14 
ILOVEMYBETTA44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
How is your betta? I really don't recommend to use bettafix. It will not help especially if he stopped eating.

Like Sena wrote you need Aquarium salt 1tsp/gall to start. Put him in smaller container. I am not sure how you can do it without heater though. What is the your room temperature? For salt treatment you need to do 100% daily water changes. And you need qt betta in the small container.

You need to pre mix Aquariums salt (which you can buy in any pet store) in 1 gall jug for the right dosage. You can take a gall from the spring water or from milk (just make sure you rinse it well) You need to do 100% daily water changes. Aquarium salt treatment should be no longer then 10 days. So start with 1tsp/gall for a few days and give the forum update. You might need to increase the dose. You also can put a cup he is in for the treatment in the tank to keep water warm. Just make sure he donít jump out unless you decide to do it in his tank. It just more hassle to do 100% water changes in the big tank.

If you absolutely cannot do aq salt treatment I can tell you what medication you can use but definitely not BETAFIX
Thankyou for all the tips :) how long do i leave him in the salt water?? and the betafix i bought says it is all natural?? idk it doesnt seem to be bothering him in anyway but ill stop using it.
ILOVEMYBETTA44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #15 
mjoy79

tea tree oil (found in bettafix) is natural but that doesn't mean its good for the betta. It can actually harm their labrynth organ - what they use to breathe
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

For the salt treatment, you need a 100% daily water change. Don't do the treatment longer than 10 days.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #17 
ILOVEMYBETTA44

Okay so i did a full water change since using the betafix and im gonna stop using it, however the bettafix i am using does not include tht tea tree oil in the ingredients so maybe i should keep using it??? I will say tht his fins are looking the best they have since i bought him from his tiny container at the pet store...He must of had fin rot before i even had him because hes looking better and better each day. As soon as his new 5.5 gallon tank is up to temperature i am going to transfer him into a small bag which i will let flaot in the heated tank for about 20 mins so the water adjusts. Or do you guys suggest continuing the bettafix treatments in his small bowl or should i do the AQ salt in his small bowl for a few days?? with 100% water changes each day? sorry for all the questions but i am very fond of our Marshall and just want the best for him!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Well, if he is getting better, I'd actually skip using ANY treatments. Like I said before, clean water is the BEST treatment for minor cases of fin rot.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #19 
ILOVEMYBETTA44

here are some pictures of him...please tell me what guys think, im concerned about his fins and his eyes look almost bloodshot to me :(
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #20 
ILOVEMYBETTA44

the first picture is his new home :D