Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #61 
BETTACHKALOVE

So tank considerate cycle if you have filter right?
If you don’t have filter then you don’t have to cycle. I don’t know but I have 8 bettas. Each in 2.5 gall without filters and I do 1-50% and 1-100% a week and my oldest fish about 4.5 years old and younger is pretty old too. So my point if people have tanks under 7 gall even 10 gall why spend money for filters …and time to do all that little water changes ….

Sorry you don’t have to answer to me. I will do what I do and I know a lot of people do the same. I just don’t want to aggravate any one with my opinion. I guess as long we take care of our little friends and don’t have problem we do good job.:) Everyone is different and do differently…

Thank you.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #62 
Roxy

No, tanks are not necessarily considered ' cycled ' just because you have a filter in there.

I have a filter in my 2.5 gallon tank even though I do 1x 50% & 1x 100% water changes every week.

It might not make much sense to you, but the reason why I have it is because I hate particles flying around in my water. My filter does a good job sucking most of that gunk out, thus leaving my water looking nice and clean.

Besides, the filter only cost $12 at my local petsmart ( sale ) so why not? it's pretty cheap and does better than most, if not all the other mini filters out there.

The one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Inter...7517557&sr=8-1

Last edited by Roxy; 01-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #63 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
So my point if people have tanks under 7 gall even 10 gall why spend money for filters Öand time to do all that little water changes Ö.
I buy filters and only do partial water changes because one 25% change a week is less work than one 50% and one 100% a week. My tanks are glass, so they are heavy; they are all over 5 gallons, so again, heavy; my fish don't enjoy 100%s, and with live plants and sand 100% changes are massively annoying.
I've nothing but respect for people who do all that, but it's just not the way I want to do it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #64 
BETTACHKALOVE

I understand BOMBALURINA your point. I guess if it works for you then it good. When i had 10 gall tank very long time ago i was annoyed to do partial water changes and then my betta didn't live long anyway so i decided that 50% and 100% better for my babies:) But also for 2.5 gall tank i literally spend max 10-12 min to change one tank. It just take more time to couch the fish then spill out all water,rinse gravel , put it back with new water :).

Roxy i do water changes the same way. I have 8 tanks for some i do the same way you do , for a few i just do 100%. That is what i was trying originally recommend for water changes. Even for 5 gall 50% every week and 100% every 3 weeks.

But again it just me. I think it the best , but doesn't mean that every one has to do the same way. I really works for all my bettas. They really healthy and happy,and live long :)
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #65 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
So tank considerate cycle if you have filter right?
If you donít have filter then you donít have to cycle. I donít know but I have 8 bettas. Each in 2.5 gall without filters and I do 1-50% and 1-100% a week and my oldest fish about 4.5 years old and younger is pretty old too. So my point if people have tanks under 7 gall even 10 gall why spend money for filters Öand time to do all that little water changes Ö.

Sorry you donít have to answer to me. I will do what I do and I know a lot of people do the same. I just donít want to aggravate any one with my opinion. I guess as long we take care of our little friends and donít have problem we do good job.:) Everyone is different and do differentlyÖ

Thank you.
I am not aggrivated by logical opinions. Cycled tank doesn't equal healthy tank any more than uncycled tank equals sub par tank. 2.5 gallons uncycled with your water change schedule would keep a betta happy and healthy for years. If you feel more comfortable with weekly 100% water changes, then go for it.

I like cycled tanks because you don't have to do 100% water changes. Luigi was always a drama queen when it was time to remove him from a tank for a 100% change. Once he was in a 5 gallon I didn't have to remove him unless I was stirring the sand. A cycled tank happened to be the type of tank that caused one of my late fish the least amount of stress. So I figured I would do the same set up for both fishes.

You like uncycled tanks and I like cycled tanks. In the end, to each his/her own.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #66 
scootshoot

Cycled or not cycled as general maintenance it's good habit to do 25 to 50pct water changes a week. Think of it as giving your betta a nice shower. For your 5 gallon, twice a week should be fine
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #67 
goldentryst

Depending on WHERE you live, you may not need a heater at all. Chances are slim that you're in such an area, but it's been done. I live in South California and I actually wasted money getting a heater because I didn't realize the tanks in my house were already set at 78+ degrees. (I should probably mention that my family is used to the 'toastiness' of heaters when climates get cold.) That's the only exception I can see.

You don't need a filter--although it'd be nice to have one for more sanitary purposes--if you can keep up with constant water changes. I don't have a filter or heater for my second betta fish in a 2.5 gall, but his water temp is at about 79~80 and I change his water every few days or so and such. (Details on wc specifics can be found on this forum!)
goldentryst is offline   Reply With Quote