Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #1 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
The 'NoClean Self Cleaning Aquarium'. Opinions from experienced betta keepers....?

Hey everyone!

Been a while since I posted. Felt compelled today because of something I came across on the Kickstarter website. For those of you who don't know, it's a place where small businesses can get funded and make their dreams come true

I have pledged to a couple but this one of course stands out because my love of Bettas

The idea behind this is super cool. A desktop aquarium that is the EASIEST thing to clean ever. Check out the link and watch the video!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...uarium-for-bet

Cool huh? What is your opinion on it?

I am under the impression that Bettas would much prefer horizontal swimming room rather than vertical. I have talked to the inventors and they are currently working on ideas for different shapes/sizes. Also, I know some will have opinions on the size and the amount of water it can hold....breeders please also give me your opinions, because I know how many keep their fish in beanie baby containers that I believe are roughly the same size....

I am due to get one of their two prototypes this February, (the factory fresh ones are only available in April for others who have pledged) and I will for SURE come back on here with a review on how well it works, etc.

Ok, fire away folks
StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #2 
Luimeril

huh. that's kinda cool. it'd be ALOT better if it were bigger and easy and safe to heat, but otherwise, it's real cool!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #3 
LittleBettas

I agree with Luimeril.... its a cool idea... but it really should be bigger.... and easier to heat.... I keep my apartment about 75 because thats comftorable for me (and most people).... but that results in any unheated tanks being in the 60s.... so every tank has a heater... but even setted at sat 78-79... I notice a difference between my tanks that are in the 80s
...and kind hesitant about the idea of the cleaning system.... if you have water testers, It's be amazing if you could tell us how thy work out cleaning the water.. and pictures would be AWESOME
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 
nel3

i wouldn't consider that for a betta, dont really like the design of it much less its capacity. though i can see how it may be useful to breeders (i dont breed betta).
nel3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Thanks for the opinions so far!

Luimeril and LittleBettas....I agree. I hope they work on bigger sizes, most people don't keep their rooms warm enough to house Bettas. I keep my place pretty warm, and I am in Florida for half the year with heaters running near the tanks, so I don't have to worry about it. I think for people like me, these can work (I also have started breeding). If they make even at LEAST a gallon with room for a heater cord to go through the top, then it would more suit those living in colder climates. In my experience, 1.5 gallons is the smallest I'd use with a heater....

Nel3, exactly. For breeders this would be AMAZING. They just need to make a cheaper version with plastic....oh how easy that would make life for Betta Breeders!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

I like it... in a larger size lol But it's still a very neat idea! I'm still all about the good old taking care of any pet or child I bring into my home though ;)

Edit to add: The price... that turned me right off. I'd love to buy this tank, but not for the price of a 10g tank. It's not even big enough for a Betta home. Neat idea but it needs tweeking.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 01-11-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #7 
StarSpun

Pitluvs, exactly

So the opinions so far are just, make it in a bigger size!

Now, if a bigger size came out, say, 1.5-2 gallons, and the cleaning system worked just as advertised....would you pay the $75-$90 for it? (Not sure how they would price bigger ones, so that's just a guess for now).

I think that regardless, this tank as designed, will save a lot of bettas....so many children and students keep them, and get smaller tanks because the ease of cleaning/transporting. There are so many people who keep bettas without the heat anyway, regardless of how they are warned. At least now they would have a cleaner tank....*shrugs*

What do you all think of the whole vertical/horizontal swimming room?

Last edited by StarSpun; 01-11-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #8 
Pitluvs

Honestly, if it was a 2g tank? I would for sure! I wouldn't be switching all my fish over to them, but I would sure love to have one as a collector of fish tanks lol

But yeah, $75 plus shipping/light for a 0.5g? I have one here from WalMart for $7 and I don't mind changing it if it saves me $100.

I can't wait for your post on how it works out for you!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #9 
AngesRadieux

I'd really love to see this for larger tank sizes. I don't find cleaning my 2.5 gallon tank too much of a hassle. I can carry it to the sink pretty easily and cleaning it doesn't take too long. Cleaning a 1/5 gallon tank would be even quicker and easier. But, if they were to make this for bigger tanks that are too big and heavy to carry around easily, I'd be a happy camper. Though, I guess for someone who has a lot of tanks this would make life much easier.

I don't know if I'd buy something like this, though. I need those frequent water changes done manually to build some upper body strength. xD
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #10 
angiessa

The worry I had when reading the project description was that they're telling people bettas don't need heaters. They absolutely do, unless you live in a consistently warm environment. :-/

The self cleaning part sounds great...but there needs to be a heater.
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote