Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #21 
newarkhiphop

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarSpun View Post
Thank you everyone for your opinions. They reflect mine.
Awesome idea, needs some tweaking to appeal to betta keepers

I think the first problem is size, but moreso for the heating issue.
What these guys wanted to do was make a standalone tank, no messy wires, etc etc. I get that vision. But I also think it's only right that Bettas live in comfortable temps. I am not so much a stickler on size. I think one gallon is the minimum but half gallons CAN be acceptable depending on the fish. I've had fish hate bigger tanks and vice versa. It really just depends on the situation. Also, for breeders, a half gallon seems to be acceptable.

Now the problem for them is going to be the price. I think they will lose a lot of biz with the pricing. I have forwarded these issues to them. I can't wait to see their bigger sizes. I also told them that cheaper materials (plastic) to make a version of this tank for breeders would be super. This size is perfect for breeders in a fish room, as heating would not be an issue. Any breeders checking out this thread, let me know what you think. How much would these have to be priced in order for you to give up your beanies?

For everyone else, what is the minimum size you would purchase, and what is the maximum you would pay for said size?

I will for sure be testing the water perimeters when I get mine. Will be very interesting to see how well it works, though in theory it should work....if the water is poured carefully and slowly enough

As for the fish looking like it has ick....mine looks like that in a new tank. The bubbles attach to him. On some of my other bettas, it doesn't happen. Maybe has something to do with the slime coat? Heh!

Thank you all once again, your help is appreciated. I really want to see the right kind of betta tanks on the market, and this idea is so friggin' super cool!
I would buy a 1 gallon and pay up to $40 for it IF there was a way of putting a heater in there, temp gets too cold where i live during the winter.
newarkhiphop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #22 
Pitluvs

See, I never picked up on the heater thing because my tanks are always at 78F. I don't mind not using a heater in smaller tanks. Larger tanks need it here though.

Personally? I'd pay the $75 for this tank if it were 2g. I'd pay $30 for it as a 0.5g. It's unique, so it's going to cost more for sure but it's a big steep for a "hospital tank".
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #23 
nel3

i wonder how you'd have to clean the gravel. even those people that buy it for "ornamental" purposes. they may be able to change the water within a minute but they'd have to stir the water up quite a bit if they want to get the waste sitting on the bottom out.

theres something about the spout design i find weird. although it may be true they drilled a hole and sealed the spout on it, it just doesnt look as esthetically pleasing to the eyes.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #24 
Pitluvs

With these tanks, it's a gravitational(?) pull that sucks all the waste up the tube and out the spout. Everything falls under the rocks and into the bottom where it's sucked up :)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #25 
OMB

agree with everyone here. If size and shape weren't an issue and I could add a heater - I'd be in - at least to make it easier to have a tank at work that I could clean easy & have it look nice too. Lots of nice looking tanks out there are way overpriced anyway. People will pay for style. (Like this $140 one... http://aruliden.myshopify.com/products/fishscape)

Did they really say "JAPANESE fighting fish" though?

(Thanks for the intro to the Kickstarter site, btw.)
OMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #26 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
With these tanks, it's a gravitational(?) pull that sucks all the waste up the tube and out the spout. Everything falls under the rocks and into the bottom where it's sucked up :)
now, thats a cool idea. i didnt notice the pipe inside. my attention was drawn to the spout design itself.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #27 
copperarabian

that is sooo awesome!!!!! If only it was bigger D:
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #28 
Luimeril

if it were plastic, instead of glass, they could REALLY cut down on the price. no ones' gonna play that price for a tank of that size. shoot, i could buy a 20 gallon kit for $75! o-o
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #29 
Pitluvs

That's what I was saying! haha I mean in one aspect, it favors the new Betta owner or those who have little time... but the price is more than the average 1 Betta owner would want to pay. On the other hand, the price isn't bad for Betta hobby type people (we're crazy, $65 on one fish?!) but we know enough to know this isn't large enough for out Bettas. They gotta find a middle ground :) It's even a lot for Betta Breeders. Lets say the average spawn has 15 males... that's a lot for temp tanks.

I like the idea of glass, and the hardness of the style. But glass is heavy/expensive and more expensive to ship. Plastic/Acrylic would be great and cut down on cost but you're missing the uniqueness of this tank.

I'm just totally all over this, I'm showing everyone I know.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:15 PM   #30 
SmokeNLark

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMB View Post
Did they really say "JAPANESE fighting fish" though?
Yeah... I saw that too. Bettas in warm climates don't necessarily need heaters. And they can do decently without them. (All mine have heaters and never will be without, just saying they're hardy fish and the heater issue isn't as widely known) But calling them Japanese fighting fish? At least know what you trying to make a tank for. lol :p

But seriously, that's a really cool idea. I would pay around $75 for a 2 gallon. Size and ability to be heated, like everyone else, are my 2 biggest concerns. And I do wish it was a bit more wide, but the wider you make it, the less the mechanism might work for flushing out waste. That will probably need quite a bit of tweaking. It's awesome though. And I would definitely buy one!

Last edited by SmokeNLark; 01-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote