Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #1 
mrbprint

Question After effect of Popeye

I picked up a pretty little betta from the LFS and after I got him home I noticed he had Popeye, severe in one eye and to a lesser extent in the other. I put him in clean water with some salt for a couple of days then changed the water(90%) and treated him with Maracyn Plus for 10 days on 3 day WC and retreat. He is doing very well and his RT eye is normal with vision but his LT eye is hanging out and cloudy.

What should I do? Just leave it to fall off or try to remove it. I just moved him to his permanent home in a divided 5g, from his 1g container.
mrbprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Oh my! I have never seen popeye do that! well, don't try to remove it. you can cause more harm than good. Keep an eye on him. The cloudiness suggests he is blind or going blind in that eye. Can you post a picture of him? front view and the side of his left eye
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #3 
mrbprint

Here is pix of Popeye Facebook

Facebook
Old 01-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

It isn't showing up lol. says it is unavailable.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #5 
mrbprint

Lets try from here http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/m...m/popeye-3182/
Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

goodness me! That to me looks worse than popeye I am used to .. Usually the popeye I see is this http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=popeye...t:429,r:17,s:0

I'm definitely a bit worried about it, as I can now see how it's "hanging" there basically by the cover of the eye. Being in both eyes before, that popeye was probably from bad water conditions, so to see it to this extent is pretty bad. I'll message a couple people to see if they know more than I do.

However I still recommend not removing it yourself.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #7 
mrbprint

I realize that there is no saving the one eye and he seems no worse for the wear. He is blind in that one eye but he is eating ok.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

How is he acting other than the eye...still eating, swimming without issue, responsive to you etc.....I assume he is okay since you moved him to the 5gal....

I wouldn't try to remove the eye, it should fall off on its own and fish generally can still live a normal life with just one eye even with limited vision in the other...they have an extra sense organ call the lateral line that functions like echo location

You will want to prevent a secondary infection and since you have already used antibiotics-what I would do now and this is if he is otherwise okay....clean like temp dechlorinated water from frequent water changes
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #9 
mrbprint

He seems happy and adjusting well to only one eye. I plan to just keep him in clean water with epsom salt 1 tsp/5g until all healed. I have him in the same conditions as my other 2 Bettas that are doing great, 2 fat little piglets. RO filtered water from the supermarket dispenser, 6.6-6.8 PH and 80 F, an established sponge filter, AZOO substrate to keep things buffered to the upper 6s on PH.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #10 
Sakura8

OFL, would you recommend epsom salts to help bring down the swelling in the other eye or would that not be a good idea?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote