Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #1 
4alwaysAbettaluver

Exclamation My bettas habbitat?

I accually dont have a betta YET, but I am planning to get one tomorrow or the day after. I have planned to keep it in a 1.5-2.0g bowl with no heaters, but idk... People have told me about tanks and I am kinda now leaning towards the tank:) Should I have a filter??? I know I need a heater or a lighting system to keep it warm, but I dont think it needs a filter in its tank. I also am in a money crunch I need a lost cost tank with filters, heaters ect. If anyone has any suggestions on the new habbitat, please comment or IM me. My sister and I have had 1 betta before and we kept her in a bowl with a silk plant and a couple of decorative stones <3 She is still alive, but we had given her to my friend (who is like 2) and she is still alive with no filter or heating system at all. They clean her every week and her name is now TACO! I also need good food companies because my sister had a betta named Peetree and we fed him like tetra fin pellets and he died a month later... My mom had a fish (we shared it) and its name was vibrant, but he lived in a tank with a lighting system that I guess keeped him warm but he lived for about 1.5 years and Taco has been alive without any filtration or heating system for about 3 years now... I guess I just dont want to mess up with my new little guy or gal. PLEASE HELP!
4alwaysAbettaluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #2 
SmokeNLark

First I want to ask why you gave up your old betta. If you gave her up because of the work or you got bored or something like that, I would strongly urge you to not get another one.

Now to your questions. 1.5- 2 gallons is a decent size. Bettas do not need filters. They can breathe from the surface and in a tank that size, the filter basically does nothing. Bettas do however, need heaters. They are a tropical fish and need about 76-82* F. Bettas are hardy fish and can live without them, which is why your old girl is still around. They are much more happy and healthy with a heater. Less susceptible to disease, more active and brighter colors. As for food, as long as the first ingredient is a protein (like fish meal) it will be good. Bettas are carnivores. Pellets are much better than flakes.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

A 1.5-2.0 is a fine size, just remember it is easier to heat a bigger tank (usually 2.5-5 gallons) a heater generally costs 8-20 dollars, depending on the size, company, and type (submersive, adjustable, etc). I'm using "tetra bloodworms, freeze dried" and "Tetramin tropical granules" because the size is small enough for 99% of my bettas. I've heard Hikari floating around, along with some others. You don't NEED a filter, but you can...try getting an adjustable one, for smaller spaces (5 gallons and under)

a good list for a betta:
-food (usually 2 types if you want/can)
-tank
-heater
-gravel siphon and bucket (I get buckets from the bakery here)
-decor (gravel, plants, ornaments)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #4 
4alwaysAbettaluver

Just so you know, I didnt give up on my other betta, we simply couldnt pay for any of the stuff she needed such as food and now we are in a way better place with a better price range
4alwaysAbettaluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Well, that is good. and at least your first betta is still happy, healthy and alive =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #6 
SmokeNLark

Well good :) I just had to ask. Some people buy a pet then get bored and give it away. Then try and do it again. I'm glad she's doing well and the best of luck with your new guy :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote