Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #21 
BettaMommy531rip

I don't know. As big as it needs to be.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #22 
purplemuffin

If it's 5x5x3 it would be 561 gallons. 5x5x4 would be 748 gallons. But in all likelyhood the actual inside of the pond might be more like 4.5x4.5x3 which is 454, or 4.5x4.5x4 which is 606. So somewhere around the 400-600 range in gallons.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #23 
BettaMommy531rip

Oh. Grrrrr. Maybe I'll try some fancy varieties of goldfish. Or guppies. Or maybe I'll stick with bettas.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #24 
purplemuffin

I wasn't answering your post, haha! :) Sorry. From what I've read though, koi seem to need a minimum of 250 gallons? They get much larger than goldfish.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #25 
BettaMommy531rip

Oh. Well I definitely don't have room for 250 gallons. My 10 gallon takes up enough space. And that's just for a betta :) I still think koi are beautiful fish, but I can't afford to give them what they need. How much money do you really nead to invest anyway?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #26 
purplemuffin

For koi..Lots. But they live a lot longer than bettas too.

What about a fancy goldfish? A lot of the fancy goldfish only need a 20 gallon to themselves, could you invest in a 55 gallon tank(I got one on craigslist for 50 dollars) for maybe 2 or 3?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #27 
diablo13

Ha, koi just don't live longer than Bettas, if kept in awesome conditions they live longer than humans......
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #28 
purplemuffin

Very true, and very cool! :)
Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #29 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavi View Post
Goining a koi club would kill me :P I would come home with so much stuff I don't need :P
Thanks koi maiden! :) I'm very fond of my pond :) and as you can see its big enough that three more koi wouldn't overstock it in the least.
Most of the fish are around 15-20 inches but then corporal banana dwarfs them completely. He's almost 32 inches now!
How big is Halloween?
Introducing them in pairs is a really good idea.

-snip-
Halloween is about 15 inches(?) maybe as large as 18 inches. I usually sit on a rock next to the waterfall and don't often get close to my koi. Plus I haven't seen them in a few months. The others are around 12 inches and the youngest, Suzaku, is about 10 inches. These are all guestimates. I should see if I can get an actual measurement this spring. Wish me luck trying to get them to stay still.

Corporal Banana must be an awesome fish to see! At 32 inches he's bigger than most small dogs and house cats! I can't wait until I have a pond that can house a koi that large. My pond is about 5 ft wide by 13 ft long. There is also a lot of water in the upper stream, waterfall, and lower stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMommy531rip View Post
Is it possible just to put 1-2 koi in a VERY large tank?
Koi are actually breed to be viewed from the top. I've had koi in a tank for just a short time, and they really don't look half as good as when they are in ponds. They also need huge tanks. 1000 gal is the smallest recommended koi pond size. However, I have seen bettas sold with koi-like colorings. Guppies are another good alternative. They can live in a 10 gal. I'd one day like to have a 40 gal full of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
-snip-
I have an idea for the pond that would make it work. But in our new house it looks like the only space in the back yard would allow for a 5x5x3(MAYBE 4' deep) pond. With a decent filter, how many goldfish do you think would work in that size? I want to make it look very modern--a perfect square with thick concrete slabs, would look very much like modern japanese architecture. A nice equally modern waterfall in the back helping out with water circulation. The whole pond area would be very sleek and I think the modern 'look' might help prevent any random new fish purchases that could over stock the pond. It would already look nice with only a few goldfish in it.

In that size what filter/amount of goldfish would be suggested for low maintenance? :/
That sounds like a really neat design! I personally like the more natural looks, but it still sounds awesome if done right. I think the best way to make a pond low-maintence is to under stock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMommy531rip View Post
Oh. Well I definitely don't have room for 250 gallons. My 10 gallon takes up enough space. And that's just for a betta :) I still think koi are beautiful fish, but I can't afford to give them what they need. How much money do you really nead to invest anyway?
How much have I spend on my koi pond? Well building it cost about as much as a car. That was the largest expense. The koi weren't that expensive but that's because I bought them young. Food is another major expense. They eat a lot in the summer.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #30 
purplemuffin

How many goldfish would you suggest for understocking while still looking nice? Let's say I bought a filter made to filter up to 500 gallons. Even understocked, would it be better to get double filtration, like one that could filter up to 1000 gallons?

8) I'm asking you so many questions, I'm sorry!

Tags
koi, marble, pond