Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

Water changes with meds and salt?

Hey. I am using marycn two i think its called, and salt in my bettas 1g tank. Trying to help him regrow his fins. How often do I need to change the water?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Is your betta having any active signs of infection currently that require meds?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 
a123andpoof

Hi, and yes the thread below was my post last night. the first post should be enough info. If more is need please ask.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90344
Old 01-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #4 
earthworm88

Ok. Guess you have all the answers in the first thread. Follow OFL advice if you want to do it the natural way, or Callistra if you want to use medicines. I personally would just do it conservatively with AQ, tannins and stress coat/stressguard if your Ryu isn't showing fast and active signs of infection. We know the problem is due to neglect in water change, so try to give him good clean water for now before stressing him more with meds. But it's your call. Good luck.

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #5 
callistra

The rot has reached his BODY. Even this forum suggests medication when the fins are rotted down to the body. I almost always treat fin rot conservatively. The two exceptions are rapid loss or cases which are about to reach the body. Correct me if I'm wrong but your thread said the whole fin is gone and at his body.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #6 
callistra

Just because it was caused by water quality problems doesn't mean it should be an automatic conservative treatment.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #7 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Just because it was caused by water quality problems doesn't mean it should be an automatic conservative treatment.
No need to get excited. What I meant by my post is that since filthy water quality was the biggest cause, the first line of defense is to re-adapt him back in super clean water with the most basic natural ingredients. The drastic change in water chemistry is tough for the betta to deal with, so take this one step at a time and add meds if necessary after further observation in order to avoid further stress. Your method or OFL's method is not right or wrong, it is just that we differ in our experiences and philosophy in treatment.

Did I at any time tell the poster not to use meds at all? Did I say that this warrants an automatic conservative treatment just because I or another prefer the "conservative" way first? That's why this is a public forum, for us all to put down our opinions and for the poster to decide which he/she is most comfortable with. Ideally the poster should have included photos to help with the diagnosis as well as for us all to see how urgent or dire this matter is. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #8 
a123andpoof

I medicated him. Gave him clean water. And sadly I lost him. I feel bad that I got lazy with water changes. But I am glad he is no longer suffering. I think part of the problem was the plants. I did not realize it till today, but I think a few of the plants I had in the tank were what ripped the fins, but then my laziness made him sick. Thank you everyone for the help.