Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #31 
a123andpoof

All my hens have been raised by me and all are pretty good with me. There are a few that don't like being touched, but they still come up to me. In december we had a fox and six of them scattered we only found 3 but I was the only one who could pick them up and carry them home. Except one who I think was either to petrefied to care or was just a fairly friendly one and let my mom carry her. And then another time the fox came and 6 of them ran up into a shed. Freaked out cause I couldn't find my favorite. But they didn't come out of the shed till I came and found them, the decided then that it was safe. My hens trust me and there is nothing better then knowing your animals trust you. So while all may not be really friendly, they all do eventually grow to trust me.

I have never tried that. But they freak out when they see me. That sounds adorable though!

I usually don't do much with them for the first few weeks as they prefer to be left alone. I start getting them used to me at around a month or so. Have had good success doing it this way. Plus am trying not to get to attached to many of my hens since we do have predators. But sometimes it can't be helped.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #32 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Huh, that's interesting, I always thought it best to socialize them to people asap while they're minds are still impressionable or whatever the word is. xD My chickies were broilers for my grandma, -__-, but I still raised them with care.
One time my aunt got chicken eggs, and I don't know but I think she said her incubator must have been bad when they hatched because one was born with her leg sticking out to the side, all deformed. It's hard to explain, I have a photo. She was the sweetest little thing ever, she only had one good leg, and learned to balance herself with her wings, so she'd hop and drag her wings on the ground for balance. Of course it wasn't very effective, her wings were all ruined from it, and her stomach had no feathers from dragging herself on the ground all the time. She was my best friend :D the other chickens didn't wait around for her so she was always on her own, so I sat with her for many hours of the day in the summer. She loved sitting in my lap, and I'd catch ants and she'd gently eat them from my fingers. She'd follow me EVERYWHERE. I can't believe how much I loved her. Raccoons broke into the coop one night though, and obviously they got her, since she was disabled so I guess she couldn't get away. So yea I know what it's like to lose a chicken you love :( Here's a photo of her:
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #33 
pasoindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Huh, that's interesting, I always thought it best to socialize them to people asap while they're minds are still impressionable or whatever the word is. xD My chickies were broilers for my grandma, -__-, but I still raised them with care.
One time my aunt got chicken eggs, and I don't know but I think she said her incubator must have been bad when they hatched because one was born with her leg sticking out to the side, all deformed. It's hard to explain, I have a photo. She was the sweetest little thing ever, she only had one good leg, and learned to balance herself with her wings, so she'd hop and drag her wings on the ground for balance. Of course it wasn't very effective, her wings were all ruined from it, and her stomach had no feathers from dragging herself on the ground all the time. She was my best friend :D the other chickens didn't wait around for her so she was always on her own, so I sat with her for many hours of the day in the summer. She loved sitting in my lap, and I'd catch ants and she'd gently eat them from my fingers. She'd follow me EVERYWHERE. I can't believe how much I loved her. Raccoons broke into the coop one night though, and obviously they got her, since she was disabled so I guess she couldn't get away. So yea I know what it's like to lose a chicken you love :( Here's a photo of her:
That's so sweet. I had a favorite chicken at the horse barn when I was a kid. She would sit on the bench next to me while I cleaned tack and loved being petted. She slept on the horses at night and laid eggs on their backs. I've wanted chickens ever since, but I live in the 'burbs right now.
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #34 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Our city just passed a law saying you can have chickens in the city. But my parents aren't into the idea, so it doesn't make a difference to me. :(
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #35 
pasoindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Our city just passed a law saying you can have chickens in the city. But my parents aren't into the idea, so it doesn't make a difference to me. :(
We have a no livestock rule. I wanted to trailer my horse in and stick her in my backyard for some "green" mowing, but I know the neighborhood busybodies would be calling 911 over it. LOL
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #36 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ah, our city allowed chickens now as part of an eco movement thing. So people can have their own eggs if they want, since hens are quiet and such. Our city is trying to become the most sustainable in Canada lol.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #37 
DragonTheBetta

Omg the chicks are adorable! I have 11 chickens. 7 Americanas. 1 white frizzle(look it up!) 2 buff orpingtons, 1 I have know idea. I love my frizzle Sophie. She is the most adorable thing ever! They have feathered feet!
DragonTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #38 
DragonTheBetta

Olympia! I had a chicken sorta like that! She broke her leg somehow. She wobbled unstead of walking. We called her Wobble. I uses to have to carry her to where the other chickens got their daily cracked corn. One day a animal get her. Not sure what kind though. We have wild cats, skunks, owels, foxes, and dogs!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #39 
a123andpoof

That is so sweet! Not many of my chickens are my favorites since I would be sad to lose them.

I love the frizzles and really want some!

Many people do socialize them right away and it probably is best, but it seems to always stress them out so I don't like doing it right away.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #40 
DragonTheBetta

It takes a lot if time to learn that people are good. I raised my frizzle in my bathroom. Almost all of my chickens let me pet them. I love Sophie my frizzle. She is the cutest ball if feathers you will ever lay your eyes on!