Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #1 
JBosley

Feeding Help, Argh!

Hey All!
So I got a new betta as mine currently died, pretty sure she was a juvenile, and just didn't make it I am new to owning bettas! So I got some help on here about the tank setup and such.

Currently my new guy, Firefly, is in a Marina 1.77 Gallon Aquarium until I can eventually upgrade! I have a heater in there, thermometer, water pump that really doesn't do much, a rock bridge with hiding spots, a seashell as well as a plant. His tank is at about 73 degrees Fahrenheit. I have had him since Saturday, and have had the heater in there since yesterday! As I didn't know I needed a heater

Problem is, he isn't eating and seems very skittish! Is this normal? The reason I initially picked him is because he was very active in his cup and flared up at me when I put my finger up to the cup at the pet store. I have Wardely Betta Pellets and tried to give him 1 last night, which he didn't eat.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #2 
JBosley

Oh! And while I was getting the tank to the right temperature I had him in his cup and than floated him for a about an hour before letting him go in the tank
Old 01-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #3 
Jodah

It takes a while for them to get used to their new environment, my g/f's betta took almost 2 full weeks before he started eating pellets. Where as both Freyja and Ankou began eating the day I brought them home. Give it a while, keep the lights off in the tank for a few days, and keep offering him the food you want him to be eating. Eventually, he will eat it.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #4 
JBosley

Thanks! That made me feel a lot better, Im a tad paranoid. Always bought the sickly bettas and tried to nurse them back to health! They never lived long, so I went with a healthy one this time.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

If you can, slowly raise the temperature to about 78-82F. 73 is a bit on the cold side. At least 76 is recommended. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #6 
JBosley

It is probably at about 80 now! The heater I have is a pain, because it isn't automatic at all... it turns off, but you can't set it to a certain temperature. You just have to fiddle with the knob *dies*

Firefly is looking great! Other than not eating, haha. I removed the food I gave him this morning, will try and feed him when I go to bed. He is very skittish and when I come near the tank he goes and hides