Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #1 
tiggrchic7

Fin rot problems

My betta Phoenix seems to have fin rot and I not sure how to best help him. I've had him for about 2 weeks and bought him from a reputable local aquarium store. Last weekend I noticed his fins shredding and curling. I have increased my water changes, but I think the shredding is getting worse. I'm hoping I can get some advice as the last person I talked to at the aquarium store didn't make me feel all that confident in them.

Housing
What size is your tank? He is currently in a 1 gallon tank, but I have a 3 gallon eclipse waiting for him when his fins are better
What temperature is your tank? 79-82 F
Does your tank have a filter? not in the one gallon
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no, our apartment is heated out of our control and quite warm
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari betta gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets 1-2x day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% midweek and 100% on weekend
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta water conditioner and stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0-.25ppm depending on the day tested
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:6.8-7 ( I couldn't quite tell on this one)
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins are shredded and curling. Stared on caudal fin but now on dorsal and anal fins as well
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Increased water changes to alternating 50% and 100% every other day
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? was told he was about 4 months old when purchased 2 weeks ago
tiggrchic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 
tiggrchic7

So since no one replied to my post, I figured I must have been over-reacting and put him in the new 3 gallon tank. He does seem very happy in it, but the shredding is definitely getting worse. I tried to get the little brat to let me take some photos, but he declined. I was however able to take some quick video of him which I hope shows what I'm talking about.
http://youtu.be/P627osVbpl0

http://youtu.be/QCjkHEPlYWI (ignore the strange audio on this, forgot the TV was on!)

I am starting to feel really frustrated because my local pet store employees aren't really taking me seriously when I ask for help treating this and I haven't gotten any help here either.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #3 
earthworm88

I am sorry your post hasn't gotten any replies yet. You are right, his fins are quite tattered. But what amazing colors he has! The youtube download wasn't great for me (late for me here, so high traffic) and I didn't have the patience to watch both clips. But from what I saw, I think he could be a tail biter as well?

This is what I would do:
1) Dissolve 1 tsp of Aquarium salt in 1 gal of same temp water
2) Add your normal dosage of conditioner and stress coat for 1 gal, mix well
3) leave betta in solution, repeat the steps daily for the next 10 days
4) If I think I know the size of the Hikari pellets, I would probably feed 4 pellets a day, someone correct me if I am wrong here
5) try to feed him some frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp for proteins to help with his fin regrowth
6) try to observe whether he has the habit to bite his own fins, may need to redecorate his house frequently to keep him interested (or that his fins may be getting heavy for him to carry about assuming he has large flowing fins)

The aquarium salt will ward off any infection and the stresscoat and high protein diet will help with the regrowth.

Good luck and keep us posted!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

Its hard to tell from the video, but it kind of looks more like he has been tail biting to me.... can you get some pictures?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #5 
tiggrchic7

I will try and use my boyfriends camera to take better pictures than my phone is capable of when he gets home.

I just transferred him back to the 1 gallon tank with water conditioner, stress coat, and a tsp of aquarium salt. Should I put any of his decorations in his little hospital tank to entertain him? He's been like this for two weeks now. His fins get separations/splits and then the ragged edges caused by the splits seem to fall off, making the fins shorter. Its hard to tell if there is actual blackening on the edges because of his natural coloring.....
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #6 
earthworm88

Yeah...I would imagine it is much harder to tell blacken edges with his fins. If you really want to be sure, an LED flashlight (just try not to shine right at his face) and a magnifier can help assuming he will hold still for you for a sec there

Had you made sure his decors have all smooth surfaces? If the fins just split, it is possible it's been snagged on something rough. You know the panty hose test right? It would be nice to have something familiar in the QT with him if they are safe to have. Again, looking at your avatar, what a handsome boy he is!

Good luck!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #7 
Silverfang

That looks suspiciously like fin biting to me. Whenever I see scraggly stringy pieces like that it reminds me of when my own boy bites. IT sounds like you have the right treatment. AT this point you can only hope to stop his biting, if you can figure the trigger. Stress and boredom are two of the major causes (and easier ones to treat). However if he's doing it because he's a crazy fish (like mine) then preventing rot after a bout is all you can do.

A fishy therapist for fin biting would make a mint off this forum.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #8 
BettaMommy531rip

I've heard that with tail biters you have to give them a bigger tank with lots of entertaining things to play with and even a few tankmates, like shrimp, a school of tetras, or a snail or two.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #9 
tiggrchic7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMommy531rip View Post
I've heard that with tail biters you have to give them a bigger tank with lots of entertaining things to play with and even a few tankmates, like shrimp, a school of tetras, or a snail or two.
His normal tank is an eclipse 3 gallon...is that big enough to share with a snail or shrimp? If so, what kind are good and bad?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #10 
tiggrchic7

The tearing and shredding started when he had only live plants and no decor. He then got a castle and a silk plant along with a larger 3 gallon tank. The shredding continued. So I put him in the one gallon hospital tank to heal. He has been without his castle and just with a silk plant for 3 days.

I thought he was doing better in the one gallon tank with aq salt as I hadn't seen any new tears or separations, until this morning. When I went to bed around 11:30 last night he was fine, but this morning his dorsal fin is completely split in two and the one strand looks about ready to fall off. Also his anal fin has a chunk that's dangling off and his caudal fin seems to be missing a chunk.

I could believe he is able to bite the caudal fin but I'm having a hard time understanding how he could get to the dorsal fin. He did have his one silk plant in the tank with him. I can't find any sharp edges on it, but I took it out anyways. He seems kinda pissed off that I took that away.

These pictures are from last night. The camera battery died, so I have to charge it before i can take pictures of what he did this morning.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...7/DSCN4696.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...7/DSCN4695.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...7/DSCN4685.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...7/DSCN4675.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...7/DSCN4645.jpg

I really really don't know what to do. I feel like nothing I'm doing is helping and its so upsetting and frustrating. I just kinda want to cry.