betta fish
View Poll Results: BEST TANK CONDITIONER FOR PREVENTING COMMON BETTA DISEASES
PRIME CHEM 0 0%
STRESS COAT 0 0%
OTHER 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #1 
coolbluemint

Exclamation Tiny white spot on my betta --help and rescue needed ..

Hi there xander's been with me for a while but looks like he has developed a tiny white spot near his head...he is moving around normally with normal diet etc...what could this be?can anyone help me...
coolbluemint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #2 
Banicks

Hi coolbluemint,

The white spot on his head could be ick. To be certain could you please take a photo/video of him trying to highlight the spot in question. Also, examine the rest of his body for other white spots, generally ick spreads across the whole body making a betta look like they’ve been peppered with salt.

Also, water conditioner is not a ‘preventative’ for diseases. It may assist in boosting immune system – some will claim. As far as this is concerned, I personally recommend API Stress Coat+. I have never experienced any issues with diseases, possibly because of the added aloe vera agent that creates a slime coat to help protect fishy.

Your best defence against diseases is clean water, clean/quality food and stable mid-range temperature (within 76-86F).
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #3 
coolbluemint

Thanks for the reply!!

Well many thanks for your concerned reply.but i really dunno what it was the spot vanished after a few hours..!!
Anyway theres one more problem can u please help me out here??
Xander's been with me for nearly one and a half month now.he has a beautiful indigo blue colour.the problem is that his tail fin and ventral fin seem to have a streak of transparency which seem to be widening each day.he moves around normally and eats well.is this fin rot?
Can some one please advice me what is the best medicine to use for this condition and where to buy it?
Is there a common medicine which treats common betta ailments?if so can u suggest some?
As of now am using simple foam pads as a bio filter.what is the best thing to use as a bio filter and where do i buy it?
Awaiting your favourable reply.!!
coolbluemint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #4 
Banicks

Fin rot appears as black along the edge of the fins usually. Extreme cases will form into the fin just fall away rotting off. It would be beneficial to take some photos/video of your Betta and post them here for diagnoses. Some Betta colouring will marble over time, changing colours or transparency.

There is no medicine for Bettas per say, the issue is companies who do produce fish medicine create it for the wide variety of other species. Betta are unique because they have a labyrinth organ which allows them to go to the surface and breath air – other fish obtain their oxygen from the water. Medicines available on the market today do more harm to a Betta’s labyrinth organ than good.

You’re best arsenal against any disease or health issue is Aquarium Salt (AQ Salt), Epsom Salt and a good water conditioner – the water conditioner should always be used regardless, but the salts you should have handy just in case. Combined with a maintained and stable temperature your Betta will recover and even prevent most issues. You can purchase AQ salt from most pet stores or online, Epsom salt can be purchased from chemists or large supermarkets, for water conditioner I recommend API Stress Coat+ which can be purchased from most pet stores or online. Google is your friend for local or interstate aquarium online stores.

Before you being treating your Betta for anything post pictures/video up so we can confirm if it truly is finrot. The last thing we want to do is needlessly treat a Betta for something it doesn’t have. It’s a waste of money, your time and can lower the immune system and effectiveness of the treatment if it were to actually occur in the future.

I do not use filters myself, Betta prefer calm environments with little to no current. I did use one and the cartridge contained a filter and a bio filter. A bio-filter is the name given to the part of the filter in which biological organisms manifest – beneficial bacteria (BB) such as ammonia bacteria and nitrite bacteria (not the official names, but will suffice). Commonly they are just plastic cylinders or balls with slots in it, in which the bio gunk collects and bb forms.

You can replacement cartridges or dedicated bio filters, which I believe are quite expensive, from aquariums, pet stores or online. Other members with more bio filter experience may be able to assist you on this one though.
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote