Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #1 
hmckin20

Filter problems.

So I recently bought a few sponge filters from a seller on Aquabid.com, and installed them. I've had them for a few weeks... and I had to change gang valves twice because it appeared the filters weren't getting the air they needed. I put in a plastic petsmart one, and thought everything was dandy. These are two three-way divided ten gallons. I do a weekly gravel vac & 50% on them. Well I finally got enough money to buy a master test kit today, and i tested my tanks... the ones with other filters were fine. And I tested these two...

and both had ammonia levels in the deep greens- 2.0-4.0. of course i freaked out. so i removed all but a fourth (maybe an inch or two) of the tanks' water and replaced it with new, clean water.. and it definitely went down, to around .5-1.0. still freaking out a bit.. what do you guys think? is it the filter, or the gang valve, or the air pump i'm using?

the filter in question is a black two-sponge. the gang valve is a plastic petsmart two-way. the filter is a tetra whisper, 10-30 gallons.

fjsldkj. if i do another water change tomorrow, will the level go down? should i even wait til tomorrow?

edit i just tested my twenty gal, that i have the non-two sponge filters in and a water change just yesterday.. it showed up dark green also.

whjafdkj what am i doing wrong?

Last edited by hmckin20; 01-12-2012 at 10:17 PM.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

Your tank has probably not finished cycling properly yet.
How's your nitrogen doing?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #3 
hmckin20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Your tank has probably not finished cycling properly yet.
How's your nitrogen doing?

derp. i don't know.

by master test kit i mean ammonia test kit.
/facepalm

i've had the filters in there for a while, though.. the 20gal that is. like, a month or two.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

I think you're cleaning your tank too much.
You shouldn't syphon your tank that often when trying to cycle because you remove the beneficial bacteria. You should only do water changes to lower the ammonia/nitrates when cycling.
What type of substrate are you using?
IMO the filters are not the problem, they are good filters (I have a large one) and as long as you see water coming out of the outtake you're good!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #5 
hmckin20

i'm cleaning it too much? :O
that's a first haha.
i use gravel, the $4 kind from walmart.
so i shouldn't do weekly gravel vacs? i know that the filter comes out of the water whenever i do them; could that be the problem? should i lower it so it stays in the water?