Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #1 
khatlady

Gravel cleaning a 1.5 gallon??!

Hello,
I recently got a 1.5 gallon tank for my new betta. I have a small filter and a heater in it and a small amount of gravel on the bottom. How in the world do I clean the gravel in such a SMALL tank? From what I've read, even the mini gravel cleaners suck the water out too fast. Being only a 1.5 gallon it wouldn't take long for all the water to come out. Any recommendations on a good gravel cleaner for a small tank?
I have this tank (Water Wonders 1.5 gallon kit). Thanks!
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-29137-Wa...6389593&sr=8-1
khatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

I have found that in the smaller tanks that the stir and dip method works better to clean the substrate or a turkey baster to target clean...

To make the stir and dip method-the Betta can stay in the tank.
Unplug both the heater and filter
Give the substrate a stir with either a chopstick, wooden spoon or the like-to bring the debris/mulm up into the water column
Using a small plastic cup dip half the water out
Re-fill with like temp dechlorinated water
Once the filter is back on the water should clear within an hour-if not-you either missed a water change at one point or overfeeding
Plug the heater back in and monitor the temp

For 1.5gal filtered tanks-water changes of 50% twice weekly...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate to maintain water quality-if you have live rooted plants-try not to disrupt the roots

Filter media needs a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain water flow...

Love to see pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #3 
OMB

I actually use my mini siphon for the same tank you have and it works fine even with my betta in it, as well as a good amount of gravel, a cave, a plastic plant, a mini heater and the mini filter it came with. It does suck the water fast but not so fast that you can't control it. If you've never used a siphon before, just practice first in a bucket. I got mine from Petsmart.
Of course the other methods that OFL mentioned work well too.

(Can't wait to upgrade soon! Less water changes and cleanings!)
OMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #4 
khatlady

OMB, Could you tell me the exact name and model of the mini siphon you are using? Also Oldfishlady thank you for your ideas!
khatlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #5 
OMB

My mistake - it's not a "mini", it's the small siphon I believe. Sorry I lost the packaging - but I'm 99% sure it's this one. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11123493
Top Fin Aquarium Gravel Vacuum
OMB is offline   Reply With Quote