Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Unhappy Fry emergency, please help :(

I was looking at my fry today, who are just a few days old today, and it seems like some of them have a few spots that look gold or whitish.

I was thinking "Now how in the world could they have gotten ick or velvet...?! And so fast.." I now see that one very sick male who I am about to euthanize (really depressing btw, first time I've had to do that) has ick. He has an infection on his face that has slowly been eating away at the tissue. I have tried marcyn 1 + 2, betta revive, salts, everything to help him and after weeks he's lost an eye and half his face is an open sore.. he doesn't eat or swim up to see me or anything else anymore, so it's time to let him go :(

I have his old heater in the fry tank. I washed it with extremely hot water but apparently not thoroughly enough.. some of the fry have little dots on them, it's hard to tell if they're white or gold, but they don't look like dust the way velvet does. I'm really upset at myself. I thought I did a good hob of cleaning it.

How do I treat a fry tank? It's a half filled 10 gallon with at least 50 fry in it. I am really scared I'm going to lose them. I've done a search of forum posts as I know I've seen others talk about it, but I wasn't able to find any results. I can get any medicines I need. On hand I have marcyn 1, 2, betta revive, epsom and aq salt as well as access to petco, petsmart, and two local fish stores.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #2 
Bambi

Some people do a half dose of whatever meds you would use, but i really don't know. Raise the temp a little if you can. Generally if you use meds you run the risk of losing some fry who can't handle it.
did a search:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1063453AA9FWZW
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

maracyn 2... says 1 packet for 10 gallons. half that, for the amount of water, then half that, for the fry since fry cannot take the full dose. you can work your way up, to the 1/4 dose, if needed. you may lose some fry, but could save the others.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #4 
GreenTea

What I decided to do was remove the fry to a floating container, and floated them in my 6 week tank, raising the temp to 85. Meanwhile, I emptied and cleaned their tank with really hot water, as well as put a new heater in to heat their water to 85. I added prime and 1.5 tablespoons of aquarium salt to the water and let it dissolve. I cleaned the java moss and moss ball with really hot water and then let them soak in hot water for a bit to kill anything thinking about being left over..

They are now back floating in their original tank, and I will be slowly replacing and adding water as the night/next day goes on, and then continue with aq salt and daily water changes with bottom vaccuming, which I had already been doing.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #5 
Bambi

Best of luck.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #6 
GreenTea

Thanks so much Bambi and your reply, you too Sena. Losing the male was bad enough, I can't imagine losing the babies. A few escaped their holding container and seem to be doing well in the warmer and salted water so here's to hoping. Not all of them had ick, and it wasn't severe on any of them. I'm hoping catching it early will make the difference.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #7 
GreenTea

I made the decision to cull 4 of them who had it quite noticeably and were weak. Everyone seem ok this morning, I'm going to do a 50% removal from their holding tanks and replace with salted water slowly and repeat again this afternoon, and let them out tonight. I want to allow a minimum of new water into their clean tank.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

It can be tough treating young delicate fry when you have an outbreak like this....good that you went ahead and removed the worst ones and then did a full break-down and clean on the tank.....Good that you are getting the temp up...I would get in in the 86F ranges since its hard for the parasite to reproduce at the temp..I would also dose salt at the 1-2tsp/gal range and make water changes daily siphoning the bottom really good each time as I am sure you are already doing to help manually remove the parasite....

Sadly, when delicate fry get infected like this it is not uncommon to have mass loss....one good thing...what do survive will be the strongest of the strong in the immune response dept....

If you are feeding any live foods-be sure and rinse them really good-often this can be a cause......

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #9 
tpocicat

GreenTea, I'm so sorry that you are having trouble with your fry. Let's hope there will be a mass recovery!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #10 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, Green Tea. :( *hugs*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, fry, ick, velvet