Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #1 
Laki

anyone on? Shrimp q's!

Okay, I'm heading to a store today and wondering if I should get a few shrimp? What kind is good for a beginner? I've had ghost shrimp before but I couldn't see them and I obvioiusly didn't take good care of them.
I'm picking up a new adjustable heater today, so I'll have a heated 1gal free for either shrimp or another betta. I just would like to know more, and if I should get them today- my sister has been texting me info on them all day and I think I might get some as companions :) Thanks!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you are going to make a shrimp only tank...get Red cherry shrimp (RCS) easy to care for and reproduce pretty fast.....Get 2-3 females to every male...easy to tell sex difference too....Females are usually larger and redder/deeper in color with a saddle and males are smaller and pale in color....They do really well with live plants too...java moss is great for the shrimpletts to hide and feed in and the plants help to keep nitrate in check.
RCS are not known to eat their young like ghost shrimp so that is a plus....
They eat anything-I feed mine an algae wafer piece once or twice a week

The Neocaridina heteropoda-they come in several different color morphs other than red too...I have both the red and yellow-but they come in white, blue and green and maybe even more.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 
Laki

Thanks :) I wasn't going to get ghost shrimp :/ I'm sure they're cool for enthusiasts but I'm not into them TBH.
I will take a look around today for KK. What is the minimum space requiremtns? And can they live with my betta if they're big enough? What problems can come of that?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

RCS are much smaller in size than the ghost shrimp and some Bettas can really do a number on them and so it can be risky to add RCS with a Betta in a really small tank-less than 10gal, however, I have successfully kept a few RCS in 1gal NPT's with male Bettas but on the same note...I have a harder time keeping RCS in 20gal with females....these ladies seem to hunt them down with gusto...lol....it can vary with any Betta in the tolerance of them...regardless of plants and hiding place-they will get the tiny shrimpletts-Bettas like to swallow their food whole, however, they will rip an adult in pieces to eat too....I was just watching few of my young Bettas playing tug-O-war with a RCS...not sure if it was already dead or they killed it since RCS are rather short lived to start..2-3 years range on longevity...

I keep shrimp only tanks to stock my other tanks with-since they don't eat their young you can get pretty fast reproduction....In 1gal unfiltered with live plants I would start with 2-3 females and 1-2 males and within no times you will have lots of shrimp

You don't want to use HOB type filtration in small tanks since the baby shrimp can get sucked into the filter and some will not survive the trip through the impeller-however, some do too...I always check mine by dumping the water in a container and fish out any survivors

If you have lots of live plants you don't need a filter-if you do use a filter in a small tank a sponge filter is best...
Old 01-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #5 
Laki

Hm, interesting! Thanks! -here come moar q's-
Lakitu is not interested in scavenging the tank unless I feed bloodworms. He is practically always looking for attention, I spend a lot of time at my desk (where he resides) so he's showing off a lot :D My KK is the medium one but holds more than 2 gals (I know this bc I filled it using my 1g to guess the gallon capacity) and has a a large floor (for shrimpies) I have driftwood, IAL's and moss balls currently but with the trip today I'm picking up low maintenance plants as per the plant sticky here. I'm thinking if I pick up a couple shrimpies then I can trial them with Lakitu but if he does mercilessly murder them then I'll put them in a 1g? A taller than wider 1g would be enough space for them?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #6 
Laki

The store I was going to get cherry shrimp from are out until Thrs. SO, how are ghost shrimp? Can they live with cherry shrimp?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I wouldn't recommend mixing ghost and RCS-because the ghost may kill not just the baby RCS but the sub-adults and adults...not always a problem-but ghost shrimp can be fairly aggressive...they eat their own babies after all......
Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #8 
Molinious

On similar lines to OFL i have RCS and they live very happily with all of my community fish, even the Male and female Betas ignore them. Iv sat and watched Misery (male betta) sitting on the substrate with shrimp surrounding him and not even pay any attention. What i will say is just watching the RCS is entertaining enough even the young
Molinious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #9 
Laki

Well, I had myself worked up so much tonight I picked up 4 ghost shrimp. The lady was new and never caught shrimp before, so I hope they lives! Anyway, when I decide to get cherry shrimp I'll put the ghosties in a heated 1g :)
I got all kinds of new things to re-design Lakitu's tank! Got a 25 watt adjustable heater and black gravel, live plants. :)
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

How many shrimp can live in a 1 gallon and do you have to have live plants? Just out of curiosity. I hope I'm not hijacking the thread since I am asking questions about shrimp. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote